New Bathroom / Laundry Room in the Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dry vent takeoff can't be flat, it has to be taken off at a rise of at least 45 degrees above horizontal. So the takeoff is near the wall in order for the vent to be able to rise into the wall without going horizontal at all.

As to whether you can rise a little, then turn horizontal below the slab, and then turn up into the wall, in the US that depends on which plumbing code you are under. So you would need to check your plumbing code.

Cheers, Wayne
Good info on the dry vent Wayne. One thing to be aware of with UPC code on dry vents is that a grey area of allowing vents horizontal below flood level can be done where structural condition require some specific wording but there are case where a horizontal dry vent below flood level is allowed.
I don't see this as a case for allowing it flat just saying it can and is done legally with inspector approval

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's right, but the IPC doesn't allow that. Which is why I commented that in the US it depends on which plumbing code you are under. I don't know what the Canadian Plumbing Code has to say on the matter.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's right, but the IPC doesn't allow that. Which is why I commented that in the US it depends on which plumbing code you are under. I don't know what the Canadian Plumbing Code has to say on the matter.

Cheers, Wayne
Didn't know IPC prohibits it under all conditions

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

zaius

Reaction score
Update: I got a plumber to come over to layout the floor.

He is telling me that I can wet vent the toilet from the laundry sink + washing machine.

I just wanna double check that this is ok, and there won't be any issues when someone flushes the toilet and the washing machine is running.

thanks everyone for all your help and support.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 141

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

zaius

Reaction score
thanks Wayne!

I really hope he knows what is allowed lol.

Could I just suggest he tie it into the vent as shown below?

Red = I think this is what he's going to do.
Purple = existing drain
Yellow = possible tie in so it's no longer a wet vent?

I really don't want the toilet gurgling at any point...

Attachments

• aScreen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg
    aScreen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 167

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basically follow this plan but run a separate 2 inch line from washer to the 3 inch . It cant be that far the slab looks paper thin gotta be easy. then you'll not worry

zaius

Reaction score
Ok got it roughed in for now. Vent will be done after I'm done framing.

I've tested the fixtures by pouring water down the standoffs. Everything works fine and nothing leaks.

The only thing bugging me is in the last photo... the pipe was forced into the fitting in a weird angle to get around the corner. he said there was enough engagement in the fitting, but I'm worried that the waste from the toilet will snag on the inside of the fitting and eventually clog.

also, do i need a long sweep from the 2" vertical to 2" horizontal?

Attachments

• PXL_20210123_200226037.jpg
    PXL_20210123_200226037.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20210123_194844944.jpg
    PXL_20210123_194844944.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 121
  • PXL_20210123_200201676.jpg
    PXL_20210123_200201676.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont like it but it might be ok. thought you didnt want an issue with washing machine draining up next to the w/c?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing bugging me is in the last photo... the pipe was forced into the fitting in a weird angle to get around the corner. he said there was enough engagement in the fitting, but I'm worried that the waste from the toilet will snag on the inside of the fitting and eventually clog.

I would redo it.

also, do i need a long sweep from the 2" vertical to 2" horizontal?

Yes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just wouldn't use a 1/4 bend instead of a long sweep Why? And I never would have never gotten to the place where I had to cock a fitting like that. Most of us don't do that kind of work . I can't tell you it won't work properly , it really could. but its not done right

zaius

Reaction score
I can change out the 1/4 bend myself with a long sweep but I think the 3" pipe might be out of my element. sigh. I don't know how to fix it with such tight spacing. I didn't notice it until he left.

I asked him to come back but I don't think he's coming back.

I'm ok with the washing machine next to the toilet... I don't think the Ontario codes have anything against it.

Is a 1/4 bend from horizontal to vertical ok? Or does it also have to have a short/long sweep?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: