New Bathroom / Laundry Room in the Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

zaius

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to layout a new bathroom/laundry room in the basement. I will be hiring a plumber but I would like to know if my layout is feasible. I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Above the location is an existing kitchen drain, giving me access to a copper vent and drain. Currently, there is nothing in the basement other than a laundry tub connection on the 1.75" CU.

1) Is my venting ok? Can I have this many fixtures on my existing copper vent? Should I convert the copper (vent and drain) in the basement to 2" ABS?
2) Can I have a toilet beside a washing machine? Will there be any issues?
3) Anything I should be aware of?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
zaius.

edit: uploaded some sketches. Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.19.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.19.54 AM.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 1.33.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 1.33.04 PM.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.04.23 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.04.23 AM.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
While building your basement laundry room, consider a laundry chute.

zaius

Reaction score
This is how I would do it for a shallow drain, if your existing drain is deep then you have other options.

Thanks James!

Is this what you are suggesting (attached)? Will the 1.5" copper vent be able to handle this many fixtures?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 4.59.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 4.59.17 PM.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 199

zaius

Reaction score
Thanks James. Is there a reason for the change? Is the sink preferred to have the wet vent than a shower?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is a lavatory then your last drawing will work , but your calling it a laundry sink which is different and in my code a laundry sink can't wet vent a shower, only a lavatory can so if that is a "laundry sink" then the shower needs it's own vent.

zaius

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks, yes it'll be a laundry sink. Now I have a good understanding of how much of my basement floor needs to be broken. This is going to be a lot of work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
vent for toilet and vent for floor drain needed 2 inch vent I belive .
Dont know if the w/c can be in open room like that with washer /dryer my guess is its ok a privacy door would make it a bit nicer

zaius

Reaction score
I don't have many options in my basement given the window/plumbing stacks/etc. I'll probably stick up a half or full wall for the toilet so it's not that bad.

zaius

Reaction score
Well, I did some exploratory digging and it seems like my clay drain is not going straight to the floor drain as I first assumed.

Before I randomly break up my floor for the plumber, is there a suggestion on how I can connect the shower/laundry sink/tub as it is sits so close to the existing drain?

Also, is there a reason why the toilet drain is drawn close to the wall to connect to the vent? Can I just extend the vent horizontally in the ground to connect to the toilet drain instead?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• PXL_20210103_205701551.jpg
    PXL_20210103_205701551.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.04.23 AM-1.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.04.23 AM-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to expose the drain at least past the floor drain. Theirs no way to design a plumbing plan if you don't know where the main drain is.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Well, I did some exploratory digging and it seems like my clay drain is not going straight to the floor drain as I first assumed.

Before I randomly break up my floor for the plumber, is there a suggestion on how I can connect the shower/laundry sink/tub as it is sits so close to the existing drain?

Also, is there a reason why the toilet drain is drawn close to the wall to connect to the vent? Can I just extend the vent horizontally in the ground to connect to the toilet drain instead?

Thanks so much!

Maybe its just the angle, but that looks like a pretty thin slab.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dry vent takeoff can't be flat, it has to be taken off at a rise of at least 45 degrees above horizontal. So the takeoff is near the wall in order for the vent to be able to rise into the wall without going horizontal at all.

As to whether you can rise a little, then turn horizontal below the slab, and then turn up into the wall, in the US that depends on which plumbing code you are under. So you would need to check your plumbing code.

Cheers, Wayne

zaius

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. That makes sense.

I got more digging done today. Things that I've noticed:

1) I went "past" the floor drain and couldn't figure out how the floor drain connects into the clay pipe. Would it be at a 45 deg angle? I will probably dig around the floor drain later this week to see at what angle it connects.

2) From the vertical stack, some sort of metal connects into the clay pipe. I'm assuming it's iron?

3) I also noticed a 2"? plastic fitting right where I stopped digging. I'm assuming that's a clay coupler.

Attachments

• PXL_20210105_003545930.jpg
    PXL_20210105_003545930.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 158
Last edited: