Need some input on fixing pressure/flow for multiple shower heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Carton

Reaction score
For a normal person, my master shower is fine. I, however, am not normal. I want to re-model it to have 6 to 8 shower heads. I am now in the planning stage for the remodel.

I currently have 6 heads in a spare bathroom, but it is in my basement. I am on a well that is about 90 feet deep and my water heater and all water mechanicals are also in the basement. The pump is at the bottom of the well. This shower works great with no problems at all.

My master shower is two floors above this basement shower and I have 12 foot ceilings in basement and the first floor. I currently "only" have 3 shower heads in my master and when all 3 are on, or even just 2, the flow sucks. It is good with one head on. I was thinking about adding a booster pump of some kind for just the second floor run. I already have a 3/4in valve in the master but it is only a pressure balance valve. It is rated for a Maximum flow rate of 13.0 gpm at 45psi. This feeds a diverter valve that is rated at: Using 1 outlet: 18 gpm flow rate at 45 psi; using 2 outlets: 20.8 gpm at 45 psi.

I plan to switch it to a thermostatic valve which is rated at 17 gpm at 45psi and will use separate volume controls each rated at 28.0 gpm flow rate at 45 psi. All shower heads are 2GPM each.

I am thinking my problem is just that the vertical rise is too much for this system. My pressure tank has good air pressure and my well pump is set to run between 40 and 60psi. It all works fine. Given that the basement setup works great, should I just add a booster pump? Any tips how/where?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hello Michael,

Yes, a booster pump will do the job. However please make sure that the head pressure is not greater than 65 to 75 psi maximum. If head pressure is greater than that, you will start to wear out or blow out the rubber washers in all of your valves and plumbing fixtures throughout your entire house fairly quickly.

Please note that if your booster pump has a head pressure greater than 65 to 75 psi, you will now need to add a pressure regulator after the booster pump. This will enable you to control the booster pressure so it will control the head pressure between a normal 65 psi to 75 psi. You will also want to install a pressure gauge after the booster pump output for your convenience.

Please let me know how this works out for you.

Bob :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water pressure changes at about 0.43#/foot of elevation change...so say the outlet of your storage tank is near the floor in the basement, and you need to go up say 25', that's 25*0.43=10.75# less two floors up, disregarding any friction that may occur by the pipe and how it is run. When the storage tank gets near the pump turn-on point, you'd be below the minimum recommended pressure to get those flows you indicated. A 50-70 pump pressure switch might work, or a booster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks