Need help with removing a Pfister shower handle that has no set screw

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by evanrw, Feb 23, 2020.

1. evanrw

evanrw New Member

Hi

I am trying to figure out how to remove a pfister shower handle that does not have any screws on it. I thought maybe the cap could be removed by rotating but i tried twisting and it wouldn’t budge. Not sure if I need to use some other tools to loosen? Please help. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It may unscrew, but more likely it prys off.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Try this but might want to spray something like wd40 with the straw behind the bandle.

5. evanrw

evanrw New Member

Thanks for the replies. I did see that pfister video but mine doesn’t turn or twist off like that. I’ll have to wd40 it and see if I can pry off the cap.

6. jordanr

jordanr New Member

Did you get the end off this pfister? I have same one and same question.

7. jordanr

jordanr New Member

Ok. So I got the diagram of this one from Pfister now. The cap unscrews.

Tried wrapping in vinegar soaked rag overnight and using strap wrench. No luck. Any advise?

Attached Files:

8. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

That cap looks like you need to pry in the diagram.

9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Those ridges in the diagram may not be threads, they could be just ridges that bend and help hold it in place. I'd try using a sharp knife to get between the cap and the handle body and pry. WHat may be less likely to scratch or dent things could be a car body trim removal tool. It's also possible that there's a locking tab that prevents the cap from turning. IF you try prying from the bottom, if you do scratch or dent anything, it may be less visible.