Need help with Fleck 5810 SXT valve

Users who are viewing this thread

AcE101

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for helping.

I just finished the installation of my water softener (2.5 cft with Fleck 5810 XTR 2 valve) and catalytic carbon filter (2.5 cft with Fleck 5810 SXT valve) systems last Sunday. All went well and we had soft water on Sunday night, but last night i noticed that my drain line has continuously flowing/dripping water. So i turn on the bypass valves for both systems and trying to figure out which system was leaking. it turned out that the carbon tank was continuously forcing water through the drain line and it only happen when there's no usage of water in the house. If i open the near by water hose, it stop leaking. So i was thinking may be the valve didn't shut down completely and when the water pressure inside the tank reaches certain psi, it will cause leakage through the drain line. (my main water line pressure is only 50-65 psi and i'm in the City) This didn't happen on Sunday night after the system was set up, regenerated and run. Is there any quick fix for this? Thank you!

edited to remove dealer info.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Remove and clean the seal and spacer stack and piston. Carbon tanks are particularly prone to start up problems with seal/spacer/piston designs. Dry carbon tends to "Float" and this is one of the more unique videos I have on the schedule to do is showing how carbon is very heavy when completely wetted but can easily float for a short amount of time when it is brand new and completely dry. The first day of operation carbon holds a lot of air and should be soaked for 24-28 hours before being brought online. Of course this is carbon manufacturers recommendations, there are ways to speed up this process.

intel2020

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for helping.

I just finished the installation of my water softener (2.5 cft with Fleck 5810 XTR 2 valve) and catalytic carbon filter (2.5 cft with Fleck 5810 SXT valve) systems last Sunday. Systems were purchased from an IWP authorized dealer. All went well and we had soft water on Sunday night, but last night i noticed that my drain line has continuously flowing/dripping water. So i turn on the bypass valves for both systems and trying to figure out which system was leaking. it turned out that the carbon tank was continuously forcing water through the drain line and it only happen when there's no usage of water in the house. If i open the near by water hose, it stop leaking. So i was thinking may be the valve didn't shut down completely and when the water pressure inside the tank reaches certain psi, it will cause leakage through the drain line. (my main water line pressure is only 50-65 psi and i'm in the City) This didn't happen on Sunday night after the system was set up, regenerated and run. Is there any quick fix for this? Thank you!

How much "flowing/dripping"? I had a similar issue (dripping that I could hear). I ran a few recycles on my carbon tank and it solved the problem, assuming problem was related to some media getting stuck around the valves.

intel2020

Reaction score
How much "flowing/dripping"? I had a similar issue (dripping that I could hear). I ran a few recycles on my carbon tank and it solved the problem, assuming problem was related to some media getting stuck around the valves.
See dittohead chimed in. I will defer to his advise.....

AcE101

Reaction score
Thank you dittohead and intel1212.

I actually had the carbon tank soaked up over 48 hours before i make any connection and run it first regeneration. How do I go about to do this "Remove and clean the seal and spacer stack and piston". Does this require that I take the valve completely off the tank? I'm afraid I may end up doing more damage to the valve.

Andern

Reaction score
I have this same issue sometimes, all i do is run a regeneration on the carbon filter and then it goes away for a bit. It does come back every so often for me. Would removing and cleaning the seal and spacer stack and piston take care of this issue that pop up.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do I go about to do this "Remove and clean the seal and spacer stack and piston". Does this require that I take the valve completely off the tank?
No, it does not involve removing the controller from the tank.

may be helpful, with 3:36 being where they actually start pulling the seal and spacer stack. I have never tried taking mine apart.

AcE101

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 and Andern. I reached out to the dealer and they will send the seal and spacer stack to replace.