need help with dvw routing

Users who are viewing this thread

prols1

Reaction score
hi all, newbie here looking for some help. im looking for suggestions on how to to connect this 1st floor bath plumbing together and get it over to the main waste line... properly of course, thats why im here. the wc drain will be 3" pvc and it is 5'6" from the lav drain/vent; and 6' from the main vent. excuse my terminology, i confuse the soil stack & waste stack terms on a daily basis. this bathroom is above a full basement with a 8' ceiling and the drain leaving the house, on the left wall, is appox 4' high. i would like to keep it up high as close to the joists as possible, without drilling through or notching, then drop it down via 90, 1/8 bend, and wye to the main line out. if i left out any info that you might need, just ask, and ill answer as best as i can. thank you!!!

ps *dwv routing... sorry. lol

Attachments

• 1st floor bath.JPG
    1st floor bath.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 977
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

It is almost, if not completely, impossible to lay out your DWV system without actually being there because there are too many variables which we cannot see, and you could not describe properly.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If that 3" vent through roof is already attached, leave it alone. If it's not, and it has nothing run into it get rid of it, you don't need it. Everything else in the bath group will wet vent through the lav.

Attachments

• 1st floor bath.JPG
    1st floor bath.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,018

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If that 3" vent through roof is already attached, leave it alone. If it's not, and it has nothing run into it get rid of it, you don't need it. Everything else in the bath group will wet vent through the lav.

Wouldn't that only work if you knew the layout of the second floor to create a vertical wet vent or stack vent between the floors? If that 3" coming down is just the main coming down wouldn't that effectively remove the venting for the shower and water closet?

I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying that I don't see how it's right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

That drawing would work, (although few inspectors would approve it), UNTIL you added the upstairs bathroom and as soon as you did that the only thing vented would be the lavatory, and you would have created major problems for the TOILET AND TUB drainage.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh hell, I didn't read very well. No that 3" from the upstairs can't tie in there it would have to be downstream of the first floor group.

prols1

Reaction score
dwv

hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. the drain from the 2nd floor bath is only a drain, it does not continue up through the roof. the vents for the fixtures up there (toilet & sink 2", tub 1 1/2") are tied back into the main 3" vent that runs down into the closet wall. im in westchester county, ny; in a fairly strict district, so i wanna do it right the first time. ive read alot of your replies from other posts, so i know you guys can come up with a correct solution for this one. i have faith. :)

prols1

Reaction score
the 2nd floor bathroom is already there. this is a first floor bath remodel. all thats left for the rough in is the connections in the basement.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
the 2nd floor bathroom is already there. this is a first floor bath remodel. all thats left for the rough in is the connections in the basement.

If I were to us NH's sketch, all you would have to do is branch off the main be ore the wall for the toilet use a 2" vent in the wall. Before the vent branch off with a 2" to the shower a long as that run was less than 8'.

prols1

Reaction score
If I were to us NH's sketch, all you would have to do is branch off the main be ore the wall for the toilet use a 2" vent in the wall. Before the vent branch off with a 2" to the shower a long as that run was less than 8'.

that wall contains a/c ducts going up to the 2nd floor and across the top, so i really cant run any vents up that wall.

im thinking that if i run the lav drain over to the main vent stack, itll create a wet vent then allowing me to run that vent horizontally to the toilet. will this work? and if so... where should i tie in the shower drain line? please, anyone feel free to suggest a better way.

Attachments

• 1st floor bath.JPG
    1st floor bath.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,578

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
That's pretty close, if you have room (elevation) to go over the top of the main I would do something like this then.

The biggest problem I've seen with remodeling almost any plumbing system is elevation of the existing and you're connection point, almost everything else can be overcome.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope, the 3" drain from upstairs needs to tie in downstream of the first floor bath group for the wet vent to be legal.

prols1

Reaction score
Nope, the 3" drain from upstairs needs to tie in downstream of the first floor bath group for the wet vent to be legal.

am i gettin closer???

Attachments

• 1st%20floor%20bath.JPG
    1st%20floor%20bath.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,545

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

not there yet. The toilet CANNOT connect ahead of the shower, unless the shower has its own vent. But the shower vent CAN vent the toilet if done properly.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If the lav line is going over the top of the 3" from upstairs, I don't see what's wrong with what I posted. The wet vent is separate from the line from upstairs.

prols1

Reaction score
If the lav line is going over the top of the 3" from upstairs, I don't see what's wrong with what I posted. The wet vent is separate from the line from upstairs.

i can only guess, but im thinkin the toilet and shower need a 2" vent, and that the 3" main isnt hooked up.

prols1

Reaction score
im not giving up yet! however, if i dont figure this out soon, i might have to convert both bathrooms into closets and put a porta potti in my driveway.

am i correct in thinking the lav vent is not big enough to vent the shower and toilet, since its only 1 1/2"? and that the 3" main vent has to be "wet" before i can run it horizontally?

heres another try....

Attachments

• 1st floor bath.JPG
    1st floor bath.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 533

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
i can only guess, but im thinkin the toilet and shower need a 2" vent, and that the 3" main isnt hooked up.

If the Vent at the lav is 2",that makes the horizontal waste line the vent. That line provides the vent for the shower and toilet.

prols1

Reaction score
If the Vent at the lav is 2",that makes the horizontal waste line the vent. That line provides the vent for the shower and toilet.

ok, that i understand, but my lav drain and vent is only 1 1/2". also, i believe i need a continuous 3" vent to the roof. that 3" drain from the 2nd floor doesnt run up through the roof.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
ok, that i understand, but my lav drain and vent is only 1 1/2". also, i believe i need a continuous 3" vent to the roof. that 3" drain from the 2nd floor doesnt run up through the roof.

I would run the lav and vent as 2", you should have vents thru roof from your upstairs plumbing. Vent through roof size will be per your local code. Florida VTR can be 2", 3" isn't required anymore here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks