Need help with drain seal - Please!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rsmith99, Jun 30, 2021.

1. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Retired
    9FF0E2FC-2074-423C-A833-D6628AD36E0A.jpeg 4909994F-D015-4CD0-9D43-990E7AE58DBA.jpeg 9A470DFD-0374-4B42-9C3E-7E87087A2FB3.jpeg B0B4D880-594F-479C-A40F-7F1B849121E6.jpeg 47BDA547-736B-41FA-BEB8-3D253AABBA6A.jpeg

I hooked up my sink today.
    When I tested it for leaks, I found I had a leak between the sink and the rubber drain washer.
    Not below the rubber washer, above it.
    I took the drain apart and discovered there is a small chip on the edge of the drain, where the rubber washer should seal.
    I’m not sure how to get this to work. This is an under mount sink, so changing the sink would be a major deal.
    I have attached some pictures. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

That is an acceptable place and time for a sealant like a Silicone or a Liquid gasket such as Griiip. Silicone is probably easier to use and more readily available. Thin layer about a 1/16 inch thick. Have someone hold the drain body with putty already installed down while you work the rubber gasket up carefully.

One contractor I work with has a policy that all undermount sinks installation must have the ability to be removed and replaced after installation without damaging the counter or the cabinetry.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Retired
    How tight should the drain nut be? I don’t want to break the sink.
    Thanks for the help!

5. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Tight enough to not leak... with the silicone that won't need to be much more than hand tight plus a full turn with a wrench maybe. But the test will be if you can spin the drain with your hands its too loose. I would add some Pipe dope or silicone to the threads of the drain body where the rubber should seal against it.. if you're not tightening it as much as it normally would, that would be the other place that gasket could leak.

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I tried installing a Moen faucet with plastic drain today. After two tries with it I went out to the van and grabbed a metal pop-up drain.
    I tossed the plastic drain that came with the faucet.
    And yes, with your sink, the Silicone may be a good idea.

[​IMG]

Brass drain.

[​IMG]

Could not remove these, and too far back in the cabinet to put much on them.

[​IMG]

Went out to the van and notched some 1-1/2" ABS and made a tool that I could grip with both hands.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Reach4 likes this.
  7. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Retired
    Terry, would you still dope the threads?
    Thanks!

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I totally doped the threads. :)