Need help to get faucet handle apart

Users who are viewing this thread

leelee77

Reaction score
I have a Delta Leland kitchen faucet and I want to replace the springs & seals. I have the handle off but I cannot remove the dome shaped cap from the base. It gives you some very small flat spots for a wrench but when I try to twist it, the cap and base twist as one part in the counter. How can I hold the base piece in place without damaging it and get enough of a grip on the cap to twist it off? Are there some special tools I could get?

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 152

leelee77

Reaction score
Mine looks like this. I need to unscrew the cap from the sleeve to get to the parts inside. There are some flat spots for a wrench right at the top of the cap but they are so shallow I can't get a grip with a wrench. Maybe a 1.5 inch socket would work? (If I can find one.) And how do I get a grip on the sleeve without damaging it? I was ready to give up on it but Delta suggests that if I soak it in vinegar I should be able to get it loose. I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Is it likely to work?

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 143

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe a 1.5 inch socket would work? (If I can find one.)
Electric water heater element wrenches are 1-1/2 inch hex.

Instead of soaking, you could sop a rag.

You could for form a cup around an area with modeling clay (Plasticine), and fill that with vinegar. CLR is a stronger dissolver of hardness materials, although it can be harder on some metals.

Last edited: