Need help to get faucet handle apart

Users who are viewing this thread

leelee77

Reaction score
I have a Delta Leland kitchen faucet and I want to replace the springs & seals. I have the handle off but I cannot remove the dome shaped cap from the base. It gives you some very small flat spots for a wrench but when I try to twist it, the cap and base twist as one part in the counter. How can I hold the base piece in place without damaging it and get enough of a grip on the cap to twist it off? Are there some special tools I could get?

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 148

leelee77

Reaction score
Mine looks like this. I need to unscrew the cap from the sleeve to get to the parts inside. There are some flat spots for a wrench right at the top of the cap but they are so shallow I can't get a grip with a wrench. Maybe a 1.5 inch socket would work? (If I can find one.) And how do I get a grip on the sleeve without damaging it? I was ready to give up on it but Delta suggests that if I soak it in vinegar I should be able to get it loose. I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Is it likely to work?

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 140

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe a 1.5 inch socket would work? (If I can find one.)
Electric water heater element wrenches are 1-1/2 inch hex.

Instead of soaking, you could sop a rag.

You could for form a cup around an area with modeling clay (Plasticine), and fill that with vinegar. CLR is a stronger dissolver of hardness materials, although it can be harder on some metals.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks