Need help identifying required code upgrades for water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

margin707

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm located in California. A few days ago my water heater started leaking from the top. I called my home warranty company (America's First Home Warranty) and they sent out a plumber (Acrown Plumbing Construction). He estimated about $700 in code modifications and upgrades, please see itemized table below:

1. Ground wire = $75

2. Gas valve = $75

3. Gas flex = $65

4. Gas drip leg = $75

5. WH pan = $65

6. Hot and cold water supply lines adjustment/ modifications = $150

7. Vent pipe adjustment/ modifications = $100

8. T and P line adjustment/ modifications = $100
Non-Covered Charges $705.00

According to my policy: "Company will pay up to $250 to correct code violations when effecting approved repairs or replacements."

Unfortunately I don't have an extra $700 lying around to pay these people. Not only that, but I suspect they are overestimating the required modifications for a bigger payout.

I'm attaching a few pics of my water heater, could you guys tell me if I really do need all of those upgrades? I found my home inspection report from 2 years ago that clearly states I have most of these components.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QKmGiie

EDIT: Sorry posted wrong imgur link.

Any help much appreciated!

Stuff

Reaction score
Unfortunately you are another example of why a home warranty policy is normally a waste of money. Get a separate quote from another plumber and you will likely find the cost is cheaper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So they charge to install new flexes in addition to installing new flexes?
It's kind of hard to change out a water heater without installing new water flex on the supply, reconnecting the T&P valve and reconnecting the gas flue. Those things are extras?

Every water heater I install gets new water supply flex, I'm on the West Coast and that's an earthquake thing. I have to reconnect the T&P and the gas flue has to be fitted back on with three screws. I would talk to your warranty company and ask why those aren't included.

I would change the gas valve because the new flex that I use doesn't work with those old valves. The added part cost me less than $15 and it spins on.

I did ask the salesman at Costco how much they charged for their water heaters and was stunned at how much they get. Maybe Master Plumber Mark will add his comments on what he considers an extra when doing water heater replacements.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ahhh the old water heater pan. Are they going to pipe the drain off of it to a suitable location? Not for $65!

It always cracks me up to see a pan with no drain attached. Defeats the purpose of the pan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks