Water Softener Replacement with Home Warranty Options

Users who are viewing this thread

janders5006

Reaction score
Have a Culligan SM 60 Twin 9" dual tank water softener that is leaking. Home has a home warranty which "covers" the replacement. Looking for a recommendation from my options. For my current unit Culligan manual says 22,300 grains @ 7lbs to 26,100 gr @ 10lbs for the Exchange Capacity/Salt Dosage per charge.

Home info:
5 people in house, 4000 sq ft
3 full bath
1 half bath

Water hardness 36 grains per gallon on a private well. (Hach 5b test).

From what I'm reading online this is an undersized softener. Warranty company is offering a Hellenbrand 24k grain single tank but I have to pay $480 out of pocket for "modificiations for installation". From my online research (new to water softeners) with this size and our household it would be regenerating every 1 - 2 days. My options are:

A. Take the Hellenbrand 24k option and pay $480

B. Upgrade to the Hellenbrand 48k unit for an additional $500 out of pocket ($980 total)

C. Purchase my own unit and have it installed by the same technician and warranty company cut me a check for $700. I would pay the dealer ~$480 to install plus the cost of the softener.

For option C, I would probably go with a Fleck 5600SXT, 5810 or 9100 dual tank. If I go this route what are reputable places to purchase online or over the phone where I would not be getting low grade unit? I also can't find pricing for the 5810 online.

As an example for C, on flecksystems.com
- 9100SXT 60k grain unit is $1450. My cost installed would be $1230.
- 5600SXT 70k grain unit is $799. My cost installed would be $579

What would you recommend (and if C which unit)? And please PM me a recommended dealer to purchase through.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks