Need help identifying Moen trim kit

Users who are viewing this thread

scsiguru

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my master bathroom faucets and have installed two Moen Eve collection faucets for the two sinks. I have a Roman Tub which has an old Moen trim kit (from around 1996). There is no access to the valve since it's the tub is tiled in the front and I ventured into the crawl space and there is no way to access the valve from there.

So I'm trying to see if I can find a trim kit in oil rubbed bronze that I can just use for this tub. I can just use an oil rubbed bronze spray on the drain assembly at the bottom to bring all the colors together.

I've emailed Moen as well but they are closed until after the 4th.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help in identifying the trim and if something is available that I can swap it
out with.

Sorry about the rotation of the photos..they just wouldn't post right.

IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG

Nick@night

Reaction score
Hi Scsiguru,

I'm attempting the same project and have encountered the same problem. I am looking for Brushed Nickel trim. Please post if Moen has a solution. I really don't want to break out the tile.

n

scsiguru

Reaction score

Thank you for this information! At least I know which model I have now. Checking Moen's site here's what I find about replacing the trim:

"In many cases, the trim can be replaced without replacing the valve. However, we would need to know more information about the present product to confirm that this can be done. Please contact us for additional information."

Hopefully I'll hear something back this week and that my situation meets the "In many cases" scenario.

scsiguru

Reaction score
I rec'd an email response back from Moen today. They sent me a document which provides detailed information about how to check if your existing valve can be used with their current trim kits. Apparently the key/critical factor is the length of the shank to which the spout is attached.

On the Chateau model the directions said to cut the shank to 1 inch to 1 and a quarter inches. Here's the information in the document that pertains to the shank:

1. "If the spout shank measures 1 ½” or above, any of the current M*Pact Moen Roman Tub spouts will fit."
  2. If the spout shank measures between 1 ⅜” to 1 ½”, please view the Spout Chart on page two to determine which spouts will be compatible depending on the height of the spout shank. Go to Step Two to determine if the handles will be compatible.
  3. If the spout shank measures under 1 ⅜”, the new spouts will not be compatible. There is no need to look any further; the entire valve would need to be replaced to use any new trim.
Well, of course, with my luck I took off the spout and measured the shank and it was a little over an eighth inch or so less than the minimum amount. Looking at the shank it was obvious that the installer just used a hacksaw to cut off the top.

Now the million dollar question is this. If I knew a good metal fabricator and someone with the right skills can I have a piece made to equal or exceed the 1 ½” shank length and have it attached with a metal epoxy glue? Or am I just grasping at straws trying to make this work and saving a ton of money by not having to have the tile removed, a new valve installed, and everything re-tiled? Other than length of the shank everything else would allow me to use one of their current trim kits.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Well, of course, with my luck I took off the spout and measured the shank and it was a little over an eighth inch or so less than the minimum amount.
1/8 inch short? Is that the longer one or the shorter one? Pull out the digital caliper rather than the tape measure.

How about a photo of that last inch, taken at an angle that shows the top and the side.

scsiguru

Reaction score
The length of the shank above the deck is 1/8" or so shorter than the minimum 1 3/8" requirement. Here's some photos:

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks