Need help finding toilet with these features

Users who are viewing this thread

Anal & Indecisive

Reaction score
I would appreciate help finding a toilet with these features: 12" rough-in, floor mounted, one-piece, standard height, , elongated toilet with a modern style that functions and holds up reasonably well. I know this is asking a lot, but touchless flush, or more likely, compatibilty with a touchless flush kit (Kohler K-1954-0), would also be a plus.
Thanks for any advice ...and thanks for a great forum that helps me feel a little less crazy spending so much time and energy researching toilets!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you're going with the touchless flush, then Kohler makes the Cimarron and the San Souci. Or you can use the K-1954 kit with their models that use the Aqua Piston.
The kit works better with the Koher Aqua Piston than for tanks with flappers.
For instance, with a TOTO flapper, the lift duration is too long.

adair-k3946-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Anal & Indecisive

Reaction score
Terry, THANKS for the lightening-quick reply! Unfortunately those two models lack some of my desired features, for instance neither are standard height, and the Cimarron is two-piece.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
American Standard's Champion 4 Model #2004.014 meets all of your criteria except for the touchless flush. I have this toilet in the Right Height bowl version and it is excellent.

JMac

Reaction score

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I previously owned the Kohler San Raphael, exactly like the one referenced above. While it was unarguably a beautiful plumbing fixture, it was not a great performer. It has Kohler's Ingenium flush, which means nothing except that the water swirls a little in the bowl before it drops and empties. Mine was very well acquainted with the plunger. The San Raphael is also available in a 1.0 GPF pressure assist model, but it's Comfort Height and though I have not used one myself, the reviews I have read about it are generally not so good.

Last edited:

Anal & Indecisive

Reaction score
Plumbs Away, JMac, Reach4 ...thanks for your input. I've looked at all your suggested models in person and/or online, and for one reason or another (including aesthetics) have ruled them out ...at least for now. (I was leaning toward the San Raphael, until I saw one lined up with other Kohlers and realized how much space it takes up. Sacrificing some of the features desired for my "dream toilet" (still requiring standard height but not skirted), I am now considering Toto Supreme and Toto Ultimate in elongated versions. Does anybody have an opinion on these and preference of one over the other? Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Ultimate is a Power Gravity flush; the Original Ultramax is a G-Max flush. You probably want the latter, although the former is amazingly-quiet, almost anticlimactic, when flushing. Slurp, gurgle, done. The G-Max gives you a little more oomph. Also now available in the E-Max, which is basically identical except it uses 1.28gpf. If you are in a place where you can get a rebate for a Watersense toilet, then go with that one. The E-Max version is also quite a bit cheaper than either of the other versions at some vendors.

So...my recommendation would be the Original Ultramax MS854114E, unless you want the 1.6gpf G-Max version, which is MS854114S, or the Power-Gravity Ultimate, which is MS854114, without the E or S suffix. To review, it's Standard Height, One-Piece, great fush, elongated, looks nice, comes with a quality Toto seat included.

The lower-profile toilets like the Supreme generally don't flush as well as the higher ones like the Ultramax. They still flush very well, just not quite as well. The reason is the low height results in a little less oomph from the falling water.

I would forget about the auto-flush, unless you get the version that comes with some Toto washlet seats, which won't hold the flapper open too long, as the Kohler thing does. It's really a shame that Kohler is putting a product on the market that they KNOW will waste no small amount of water in a significant number of applications.

Anal & Indecisive

Reaction score
Wise One ...Thanks for your input. I feel better doing without the auto-flush feature now that I know it wastes water. I suspected the MS854114 Ultimate might function better with its larger tank than the MS864114 Supreme and I appreciate your confirmation of that. So I think I'm finally going to go with the MS854114 Ultimate which I'v found available for $380 delivered. Thanks again!

ms864114e-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks