Need help deciding on right component for the system

Users who are viewing this thread

buffallotrace

Reaction score
I need help deciding on choosing the correct components for the system I plan to put together...

Below is the published city water quality report

1705444814189.png

I spoke to the city water department and they said there is 0.8 ppm iron. Unsure why it is not in the report.

City measured hardness level is 25 gpg

My family water usage ranges from 4500 - 6000 gallons a month.

I plan to go with a 2 cubic feet resin, 12x52 pentair tank, 5600 SXT, SS bypass valve. Started email discussions with few online stores.

At 8 lbs/cubic feet efficiency + a reserve of 350 gallons + 28 gpg harness setting, I hope to get 1714 gallons per regen. Based on my usage the regen will be on 5th or 6th day. I think that should take care of the hardness.

Does my above calculation make sense? Is the sizing of the resin, tank and controller appropriate for my usage?

I'm unable to decide on two components for the system.

(1) Which resin type to go with?
- 8% or 10% resin. I think there should be something prior to the softener to remove chlorine. In that case does 10% help or an overkill?

(2) What to components to choose for chlorine and Iron removal?
- I spoke to kdf support and they were perplexed at iron level and chlorine in the water since the expecation is iron would precipitate with chlorine. They said KDF55 might work better. Several options here:

(i) A 2 cubic feet carbon back wash filter to remove chlorine. i.e. 5600 SXT backwash valve, 12x52 pentair tank. Since the amount of iron is low may be let the softener take care of it. Then there are 2 options here for carbon
(a) activated. this should remove the chlorine and hoping to get 7-8 gpm service flow
(b) catalytic. this should remove chlorine, chloramine and iron. since there is no chloramine in the water, do I really need catalytic carbon?

(ii) KDF55 media guard. This I hear will remove the chlorine. So, softener will need to handle the iron. will this work?

(iii) KDF85 media guard. This removes chloramine and iron as well. so, is this a better choice. But will i run into any maintenance issues?

(iv) One dealer suggested KDF85 with a sediment filter since it will pickup any oxidized iron

Can experts on this forum help answer these questions, provide input and suggestions?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lots to unpack but in general, municipal water with iron... the iron will typically be in the ferric state (solids) so simple physical filtration is usually adequate. Shoot me an email and I can go into greater detail... Blending certain medias can be an acceptable solution so long as the media blends are done correctly.
allan@impactwaterproducts.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks