Need help choosing replacement iron filter

Users who are viewing this thread

coolmoss

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 20 year old Hellenbrand iron curtain that probably needs replacing. I've done some online research, looking for options. It seems like air injection systems do not have a good reputation. Neither do the iron filters that consume salt for regeneration. Are there any alternatives to the Iron Curtain that operate in a similar fashion with a head of air in the tank? I've found a unit called "The Eliminator Chemical Free AIO Iron and Hydrogen Sulfide Filter" that appears to be such a unit, but it's only a single tank. The Hellenbrand is a two tank (one tank for aerating and the other tank for filtering).

To be honest, I'm looking to save some dollars. The Hellenbrand is now over $2,000, roughly twice the next priciest units I've been looking at. Any advice or comments appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
How much to recondition the Hellenbrand with new media or whatever? You might talk to them.

A little cleaning, and some Iron Out treatment in the media might do wonders. How long did that unit function well?

coolmoss

Reaction score
Good questions, Reach4. Really, my question is about being prepared when/if I must replace it (eg. parts not available). It's functioned fine for it's whole life. It still functions fine, never having any need for repair or maintenance. The unit is actually my Mom's, and she reported a small bit of water that is collecting around the base of one of the tanks. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm hoping that it's just an o-ring in the head that needs replacement. I've had many a softener apart before, so repairing is not an issue. I guess I'm asking because iron filters were always sort of a mystery to me. As I study and ask questions, I've begun to realize that all I really need to do, at worst, is take the whole thing apart and replace what's necessary. If the tank itself is leaking, even that I can handle. I've repaired pressurized fiberglass tanks before.

So, thank you for your comments, and I'd still like to know (for my own satisfaction if nothing else) if there is any other brand of iron filter that operates similar to the Hellenbrand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks