Need C-wire for new Honeywell RTH6500WF Thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank8487

Reaction score
I am upgrading my old non-wifi programmable thermostats with Honeywell wifi models. These need a C-wire and my wiring only has 4 conductors and no C-wire (see image). I contacted Honeywell support and they suggest using a C-wire adapter, but it appears my system's air handler units for heating/cooling do not have a control board with a terminal block to connect the adapter to, I opened the side panel. They are First Co units that were installed when the house was built 30 years ago. There's a unit in my basement, and one in the attic. All the wiring connections are mounted on the outside of the units. Only 3 wires go into the unit beside a separate AC power line. Can I still use a C-Wire adapter with this configuration? What are my options to provide a C-Wire to my new thermostats?

Attachments

• handler.jpeg
    handler.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 68
  • old-tstat.jpeg
    old-tstat.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • wiring.jpeg
    wiring.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 62

Frank8487

Reaction score
In the wiring diagram, the brown wire appears to be the common, so wondering if I should just make a new run with 18/2 to route the brown wire to use as the C-wire on the new thermostat? But that would be much more effort than installing the c-wire adapter. :(

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I was trying to understand how the adapter functions. It must make one of the 4 wires a common and change the function of one of the others.
The schematic doesn't look like it matches the wiring.

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
I never tried one of these. Resideo is Honeywell's thermostat source. The installation instructions are quite good but takes a while to absorb it all.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I was trying to understand how the adapter functions. It must make one of the 4 wires a common and change the function of one of the others.
They are confusing with using 5 wires on the furnace side and 4 wires thermostat then use terminal k for y. In your case because they didn't use traditional thermostat wiring and colors just throws another level.

Last edited:

Frank8487

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Tomorrow, I am going to wire back the brown common to the thermostat. I would rather not use the C-Wire adapter because you lose control of you fan control.

Frank8487

Reaction score
Could use the adaptor or run 18/2 or 5-6 wire t stat wiring.
Guess you have hot water he

It combines the G and Y wires into a single K wire that controls the fan and AC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks