Need assistance with flush water reload in the back tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Yash Warke

Reaction score
I have an issue with the refill tube and float ball in the back of the toilet.
Once the toilet is flushed, it fills up water in the back container to the point that the float ball rises up. But the water loading stops at a point where the ball is not fully raised (it falls short some).
Due to this, there is a "hissing" sound coming from the fill valve. I have tried adjusting the float adjustment screw, but the hissing sound does not stop.

I have posted a video here to show what I mean. I have a feeling the fix is simple. Any assistance to solve this myself at home is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
You need to lower the ball. There is an adjustment screw I think. I am not sure which screw to use -- A or B.

You have water pouring into the overflow, and the water should stop about 1/2 inch below the overflow input

If the screw does not do it, bend the rod.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Yash Warke

Reaction score
Thank you.

Do you mean lower the ball or raise the ball? Every time I raise the ball manually, the hissing sound stops. So I assume I will need to raise the ball, either via screw or manually by bending. No?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you.

Do you mean lower the ball or raise the ball? Every time I raise the ball manually, the hissing sound stops. So I assume I will need to raise the ball, either via screw or manually by bending. No?
With respect to the plastic stuff on the valve, lower the float. That way the float will be pushed up sooner during the fill.

The thing that operates the valve is that plastic rocker arm that holds the rod connected to the ball.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ball and rod need adjusting. It looks like the water is too high and going over and into the overflow tube.
There is a screw adjustment there, or a slight bend of the brass rod may do it.

If you "raise" the ball, even more water will be going down the drain.
The water level should stop 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube.

Yash Warke

Reaction score
I tried adjusting the screws and lowering the ball by bending the handle. Still no luck. The hissing sound continues.
Also, I want to mention that if I tighten screws A or B a bit tight, then the hissing sound stops after I flush out existing water, but then the water doesn't refill at all.

Reach4

Reaction score
Then bend the rod to lower the float. Do that with the tank empty so that you don't have to fight the buoyancy.

SShaw

Reaction score
I just worked on the same type of valve this weekend. Screw A is supposed to adjust the water level in the tank. In my case the level adjustment worked as intended, but the valve kept slowly leaking and several hours later water was going down the overflow tube.

The valve can probably be repaired, but it took about 1o minutes to replace it with a new Fluidmaster fill valve ($14 from the local hardware store) and now it's fine.

Yash Warke

Reaction score
Then bend the rod to lower the float. Do that with the tank empty so that you don't have to fight the buoyancy.

I did this. Empited out all the water in the tank. Turned off the water supply. Bent the rod a LOT until the ball touches the base. And then let the water fill in again. This did two thing:
1) Filled up the tank only 1/3rd of what it normally does.
2) Hissing sound still continues.

I am thinking this is probably an issue with the valve, and needs replacement.
Wasn't sure if there was any other way to tackle this though.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking this is probably an issue with the valve, and needs replacement.
Wasn't sure if there was any other way to tackle this though.
It appears not.

Fortunately fill valves are fairly easy to replace.

Usually you replace the flex line at the same time.

You should consider whether to replace the stop valve at the same time.

Where does it all stop? Got one more, and it is a biggie. If the toilet does not flush that well, and you need to use a plunger more than once per year per person, I would replace the toilet while you are at it. The new toilets not only use less water, they flush better than the old ones. Your toilet is old. Don't invest more in an old clog-prone toilet. The more money and effort that you put into the old one, the more hesitant you are to get a new one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like you need a new fill valve and at the same time I would pick up a new flapper.
Both Fluidmaster and Korky make good ones.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's got a ball cock. It's old. Does it have sentimental value to you? If so, you will appreciate the new one being higher, as well as it flushing better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks