Need Advise on Broken Flange Repair Please !

Users who are viewing this thread

T-Bone

Reaction score
Hi

I have been coming to this website for years and gaining all kinds of information. Until now I have not had a need to post. I am faced with an odd situation for which I need the advise of the pros here as well as the comments from the rest of ya ;-)

I am doing a bathroom remodel and I have a busted toilet flange. It is cracked at one of the bolt slots.

I have never seen a bathroom floor like this. It is made up of 2 layers of 3/4” plywood. There is a whole large enough in the top layer of the ply for the flange to come through. The flange looks to have 'feet' on it that make it about 1.25” thick. (pic 2)
20170615_181636.jpg
The flanged is screwed from the top down into the second layer of plywood.

In this pic you can see the floor that I am removing.
20170614_200119.jpg
The floor under that was self stick vinyl tiles. I believe that when this vinyl was the finished floor that the toilet sat about 1/2” or more above the floor. When I pulled the toilet the flange was below the floor by about 1/8” because of the thick flooring.

I put the flooring that I will be using on top of the vinyl tile and it looks like I have about 1/4” of flange above the floor.
20170615_181718.jpg
My plan is to use a Sioux Chief metal repair ring on top of the cracked flange. This will give me a bit more height.

I also plan on using appropriate fasteners and replacing the shut off valve.
20170615_181736.jpg
I am using a PVC plank flooring so I will get that to about 1/4” diameter around the flange and then caulk the gap between the edge of the flooring and the flange.

I was going to use a standard wax ring but wanted to run this install by the folks here first. I am open to other options if need be.

Please let me know if my proposed plan sounds good.

Thanks !

T-Bone

Reaction score
I looked at the Danco Hydroseat. My concern is the issue of a floating floor and those feet that have to be screwed down. I cant screw through the flooring and lock it down from floating so I would have to cut the flooring to fit around those feet and then caulk up to them. That would be tricky. I liked the idea of the hydroseat because I could screw it down through both layers of the subfloor rather than just the lower one.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you put the toilet down, it seems to me that you will be clamping the toilet and flooring together. Right? Then you would do your caulking around the toilet. The alternative would be to have a cutout in the flooring to clear the toilet base. I am thinking that it would be better to let the flooring float in and out from the toilet, but to let the toile fix the location of the flooring there.

I did not find a lot of directions from manufacturers. I did find http://www.snapstone.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/173/toilet-installation/p1 which says
SnapStone reply:
We recommend pulling the toilet and installing the SnapStone around the flange. Leave at least a 1/4" gap around the flange. Make sure you completely fill the gap between the SnapStone and the flange with a quality silicon sealer/caulk. You won't want to have the flange in the middle of a tile - thats hard to cut. Better to slit to flange across a couple of tiles.​

I don't know that I feel too comfortable with that either. SnapStone is a floating floor system. I am not a pro. I hope somebody finds a better reference for you.

T-Bone

Reaction score
I was able to get all of the old vinyl tile off the subfloor so I will be installing my new flooring directly to the subfloor, raising the flange a hair higher.

Does anyone think that a standard wax ring isn't not my best choice in this application?

Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use standard wax almost all the time.
If the flange is high, a standard ring. Sometimes the horn will cause the bowl to not drop all the way to the floor. I like to dry set without any wax to see how it sets, placing shims near the back if needed to stop any rocking. Then I pull the bowl up, set the wax on the closet flange and drop the bowl down again.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

Last edited:

Pexuniverse

Reaction score
This video shows almost exactly the same problem/installation that T-Bone is doing. It has an animation of the process if anyone's interested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks