Need Advice for Salt in Grass

Users who are viewing this thread

GrassNSalt

Reaction score
Water softening system was installed. But I think they might have connected the system to my outside water lines. Grass has white residue and grass seems to be dying. What test should I use to see if there is salt. Or is there something else I should do? Thanks for your advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
Water softening system was installed. But I think they might have connected the system to my outside water lines. Grass has white residue and grass seems to be dying. What test should I use to see if there is salt. Or is there something else I should do? Thanks for your advice.
You could get a hardness test. The Hach 5B will test for hardness. Soft water will normally be less than 1 grain of hardness, and the hard water will be significantly higher.

This test will also be useful to check your softened water as the softener nears time for regeneration.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Who did the installation? I assume that your irrigation system is tied to your domestic water and its city water provided, no well. More details would be helpful. Do you have a basement or slab, etc.

You need to know where the irrigation system ties in and it needs to be replumbed to before the water softener. Whomever sold you this or installed it do know that you cannot irrigate with soft water but most salesmen or reps will never tell you what you cannot do. Do not water any house plans either. Plants do not like ion sodium water. Ion sodium water is soluble, that is why your soaps usage should be cut in half such as when doing laundry.

From a google search:
Hard water... is water that contains an appreciable quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium). Soft water... is treated water in which the only ion is sodium. As rainwater falls, it is naturally soft.

I had one installed in 1981 and fortunately I had a basement. I reran pipe to the outside spigots except the one in the garage. Washing your vehicles with soft water will never dry with spots, It's great.

GTOwagon

Reaction score
Buy some powdered gypsum in the meantime and spread it in lawn to remediate the damage. They sell it in garden centers and Home Depot etc. Stop watering until you sort it out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks