Need Advice for Salt in Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by GrassNSalt, Apr 28, 2018.

1. GrassNSalt

GrassNSalt New Member

Water softening system was installed. But I think they might have connected the system to my outside water lines. Grass has white residue and grass seems to be dying. What test should I use to see if there is salt. Or is there something else I should do? Thanks for your advice.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could get a hardness test. The Hach 5B will test for hardness. Soft water will normally be less than 1 grain of hardness, and the hard water will be significantly higher.

This test will also be useful to check your softened water as the softener nears time for regeneration.

GrassNSalt likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

GrassNSalt likes this.
  4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    Who did the installation? I assume that your irrigation system is tied to your domestic water and its city water provided, no well. More details would be helpful. Do you have a basement or slab, etc.

You need to know where the irrigation system ties in and it needs to be replumbed to before the water softener. Whomever sold you this or installed it do know that you cannot irrigate with soft water but most salesmen or reps will never tell you what you cannot do. Do not water any house plans either. Plants do not like ion sodium water. Ion sodium water is soluble, that is why your soaps usage should be cut in half such as when doing laundry.

From a google search:
    Hard water... is water that contains an appreciable quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium). Soft water... is treated water in which the only ion is sodium. As rainwater falls, it is naturally soft.

I had one installed in 1981 and fortunately I had a basement. I reran pipe to the outside spigots except the one in the garage. Washing your vehicles with soft water will never dry with spots, It's great.

5. GTOwagon

GTOwagon Member

Buy some powdered gypsum in the meantime and spread it in lawn to remediate the damage. They sell it in garden centers and Home Depot etc. Stop watering until you sort it out!

6. Matthew K Jackson

Matthew K Jackson New Member

Conduct soil test to check the presence of salt.