Need advice on septic drain field

Users who are viewing this thread

Patflemming

Reaction score
I have a 25 year old septic tank. No major issues to report to date, the wall levels are consistent, no back ups, etc. However, the grass is Very lush and green over the drain field compared to the rest of the yard. I dug up a few test holes to inspect what was going on. When I reached the laterals at about 2ft deep, I saw pretty thick biomat and some standing water. A few septic companies told me this means that my drain field has failed. I wanted to get a few second opinons.

Based on the pictures, how far advanced is this failure? Is it possible to remedy it back to form? Like I said earlier, My tank levels are good, no pooling water in the yard or anything. I was think of adding a Roebic or Rid-x treatment directly into the drain lines (not in the tank), to try and clear up some of the sludge.

I am also looking into the possibility of maybe converting my system to an aerobic system, but that's not confirmed yet.

1696868692878.png

1696868725438.png

Adkroot

Reaction score
Are your leach lines stone and pipe, or infiltrators? I can’t answer your question, but those details may help. Mine failed similarly after half that time and I had used infiltrators.

bingow

Reaction score
After our single gravel and pipe leach leg failed 12 years ago, we thankfully had space to add a new leg with a diverter valve. Septic service said to allow three years for the old leg to recover, then switch legs every year. They also added vertical inspection pipes at end of both legs, to check on water level, if any. No problems since. May be a cost option to an aerobic system, space and codes permitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks