Need a guaranteed to stop stuck flapper issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Adam Carter

Reaction score
I own a business that the toilet occasionally gets a stuck flapper. We have replaced the flapper now three times in the past two years. The real issue is that I don't even find out that there is an issue, until I have a $400 water bill in my hand (location should be $20 a month) I have now paid six $400 water bills, after replacing the flapper more than once.

Flapper gets stuck Friday night, no one finds out until Monday mid-day.

I'm more than willing to buy something that costs $200+ that is some type of a valve that will only allow up to 10 gallons of water in say 15 minutes time frame, or the valve cuts off water 100%.

I will be installing another flapper today, but this is getting crazy, I have spent well over $2,000 in excess water bills, for a location that only has one sink , one toilet, and one employee.

Today is Monday, and just went to check on the toilet, can you guess was was running all weekend again. Another $400 bill.

ONEOPINION

Reaction score
Would replacing the toilet be an option? Sounds like that would cost a LOT less than these water bills and flapper replacements.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the flow rate it can detect. I don't know the cost. But you can have this shut off your water if the flow continues for 1/2 hour. Probably other intervals.

http://www.flologic.com/

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Check you water meter and see if it is moving ALSO shut the inlet valve to the toilet look inside and mark the water level with a pencil . Check an hour later to make sure it is just the toilet

Gerber Avalanche is a great toilet for the price (under $225.00)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A few things that can cause the flapper to not seal (and probably more I don't list):
- the chain is too long, and an end gets caught underneath it
- Using both the nubs and the ring to hold the flapper to the overflow tube...generally, if there are nubs/hooks, cut the ring out, and only use the nubs.
- the flush lever's arm rubs against something (bend it!)
- it catches on the filler (rotate the filler out of the way
- the flush lever itself is notchy and it binds
- there's some buildup of crud on the mating surface

Watts make a hose they call FloodSafe, but people have had issues with them literally breaking, and causing a flood. They're supposedly designed to help prevent your issue, but their reliability does not appear to be great.

You could put a powered solenoid valve on the line that is tied into the light/fan switch in the bathroom...so, when the lights go off, the water goes off. Generally, washing your hands at the end should typically give the toilet enough time to refill and be ready for the next use. If not, it would finish filling during use.

A better toilet would be less likely to have that issue as well.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, assuming that the toilet in question sits on a standard 12" floor rough-in, just get a Toto Drake (CST744EL) for that location. Many now come with a flush tower setup instead of a flapper, which will be less likely to stick open, although I have never had the flapper stick open in a Toto. Have the plumbing supply place in your town ask their supplier for one with the flush tower, and check that that's what is delivered. The EL version is ADA height if you need that for your business. Otherwise, the E version would do fine. Or go get a $99 Glacier Bay (elongated) two-piece toilet at Home Depot, which has a cheapo plastic flapper that has worked reliably in the rough usage of the men's room my friend's dive bar for a couple of years now. If you think there was tampering with the toilet (e.g. it's a gas station bathroom toilet), then you can get the Toto Drake with a tank that has a bolt-down lid (tank number ST743EDB matched with C744EL bowl). This basically-eliminates idle tampering by curious employees or visitors, but still allows the plumber in there if something goes wrong.

By the way, I feel your pain: I used to be a partner in a chain of restaurants, and the American Standard employee bathroom toilet had this exact problem. I told the general manager to call the plumber and get the flapper replaced and he didn't do it. After a month of running, the $500 extra on the water bill was my clue that it hadn't been done. I called the plumber myself and used the event as a teaching moment for the manager. Never had the problem again.

I'm taking you at your word that the flapper is "stuck" open, which can indeed happen. However, sometimes the flapper just wears out in certain municipal water, or if someone puts bleach disks (1000 Flushes or whatever), in the tank. This can lead to slow leaks and occasional "ghost flushing" when the water level in the tank drops enough to make the fill valve turn on and refill. The usual solution is just to replace the flapper. However, if you got a really-big water bill, that sounds like a flapper that is stuck open.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Has any suggested Using the globe valve (supply valve) adjust the incoming volume /pressure

Sometimes the refill tube on ball cock has excessively high pressure and it prevents the flapper from seating properly

Just slow the incoming water supply and see if that helps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks