Natural gas prices on the rise as fuel oil prices go steadily lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Got any third party data that backs up that assertion? (My sample size is small, but I don't personally know anyone who has had a mod-con flat out fail in 10 years. Though there is plenty of credible internet scuttlebutt about aluminum heat exchangers failing, I haven't seen it.)

Galvanic corrosion is my guess ?

Tom is Correct, Designs like that suck for the most part.

It IS Rocket Science, and Tom should not be telling the secrets.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Certainly there are many ways to galvanically screw up aluminum, but somewhat fewer with stainless. Most mod-cons I've seen up close & personal are stainless, and about half of those are now beyond10 years old.

The failures I hear/read about most often are the Weil-McLain aluminum HX units, which apparently need a bit of alkaline buffering. But I've never personally seen the inside of one of those, don't know anybody who has one.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Just using the Wrong Screws can matter a bunch.

If it wont fly, and you try too make it, It wont fly for very long.

Just as a side note Engineers are getting very good at predicting life expectancy.

That is why every thing breaks just as soon as the warranty runs out.

I know someone that works for GM and he gets paid well to make a car last 100,000, Required for banks to give you a 5 Year loan.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks