Move away from oil?

Users who are viewing this thread

dietz31684

Reaction score
I will be using the copper crimp rings since I have that tool already. I plan to sweat a 3/4 copper to 3/4" PEX onto the existing copper and go PEX from there to the WH. I like the product in the first link you provided with the PEX barb on the one end. I think those will provide the cleanest install. All the ones I found were 3/4" NPT on both ends so I'd have to use additional fittings which I didn't want to do. Thanks again.

dietz31684

Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up a few months later. Installation went fine with no problems. I didn't end up installing a tempering valve, figured it is easy enough to install if I need to crank the temperature. I have it set at 120 degrees on heat pump only mode and it is working great! We have never run out of hot water with our family of 4. Recovery is slow but actually quicker than I had anticipated. I'm sure I'll have to adjust to a more high demand mode when we have a full house, but we have had one house guest and had no problems either. Anyways, just wanted to follow up since you all helped so much!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
HP seems to be the way it goes and the efficiency is just amazing. What I do like about the Rheem is you can use the heating elements to meet the demand when the HP alone cannot. An advantage for electric is the cost for electric stays fairly consistent and cost increases are very modest. Other than the “adjusted fuel charge” rate increases must be approved by a local or state board. With oil, the prices can spike all over the place on a daily basis.

Just to let on why the Home Depot guy talked it down. When these units first came out they were noisy with slow recovery, not sure if there were electric elements at all. Another is more for your area where most homes are oil fired, oil fire systems do have a high recovery rate so anything less users will assume something is wrong after a conversion. Lastly is the water temperature, in PA water temp can be 40 or 50 degree range whereas in Florida it’s 75 degrees, that greatly affects the recovery rate.

Your experience further convinces me to replace my electric water heater with this HP. If you can take a video of it while it is running, I’m curious on the noise level. My WH is in the garage but it’s right next to the kitchen entry door. You would have to post the video such as on YouTube and then link to it from this post. Thanks.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Your experience further convinces me to replace my electric water heater with this HP. If you can take a video of it while it is running, I’m curious on the noise level. My WH is in the garage but it’s right next to the kitchen entry door. You would have to post the video such as on YouTube and then link to it from this post. Thanks.

The Rheem Platinum heat pump water heaters are specified at 49 dbA, which is comparable to a standard refrigerator. If the partition wall to the garage is insulated you probably won't be able to hear it at all from inside the house.

dietz31684

Reaction score
Hi, sorry, I dont have a video. It is quiet though. A bit louder than my fridge but quiter than my dehumidifier which is a new enegerystar model. It's located directly below my eat in dining area and you can't hear it at all...I've tried to listen for it and can't detect it whatsoever on my first floor. This is in the basement below only OSB and hardwood. I doubt you'd hear it thru an exterior wall. Maybe comparable in noise to a box fan on low?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks