Natural Gas Pipe Deflection OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

KC27

Reaction score
Had a replacement water heater installed this week. The natural gas is supplied to the heater from a 5' black iron pipe. The pipe deflects downward 3" from the T which feeds the 5' pipe, to the end of the 5' pipe where it connects to the elbow that sends the gas to the water heater. With the previous water heater installation, the elbow at the water heater was the same level as the T, keeping the 5' supply pipe more or less level. Is the deflection or slope in the new installation acceptable?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The deflection will not cause a problem for gas flowing to the WH, but a 3" deflection could place stress on the piping. The 5' section should rightly have been extended 3" to compensate for the difference in connection height, or, flexible gas piping may have been utilized. An alternate option would be to place the WH on a platform such as concrete patio slab(s).

Last edited:

KC27

Reaction score
The deflection will not cause a problem for gas flowing to the WH, but a 3" deflection could place stress on the piping. The 5' section should rightly have been extended 3" to compensate for the difference in connection height, or, flexible gas piping may have been utilized. A fifth option would be to place the WH on a platform such as concrete patio slab(s).

This plumber did not modify the branch or the drop line to account for the variation in the gas control valve placement on the new heater. The branch line isn't level and the drop line isn't plumb. The lines on the previous water heater installation were level and plumb. I asked about this because the gas lines not being level or plumb looks "wrong" to me, but I know nothing about plumbing best practices. Both installs were done by professionals.

KC27

Reaction score
Sylvan: I think it is hard to see from a photo vs in person, but here are a couple of shots.

IMG_3350.jpg
IMG_3354.jpg

Last edited:

Phog

Reaction score
What does the connection at the water heater look like? That looks like a sloppy job but if it changes direction twice or comes in parallel at the water heater inlet then it isn't placing any stress on anything. Just lazy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks for the pictures , didnt know what that meant. Yea its just a little sloppy to me not horrible but mainly cosmetic. You could change that nipple below the gas valve to a 8 or 10 inch but when /if you do it might force you to change one of the horrizontal nipples below to get proper alighnment or spin the heater an inch or so. Im a plumber and would fix it on my house. but if i was on a job and found it I wouldnt bring it up unless customer asked me about it.

KC27

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on this being a cosmetic issue.

The pipes at angles bugs me for some reason - I guess because I figured a installation by a plumber would include the adjustments to get everything plumb and level. The install was $350. That must be a price for a basic disconnect and reconnect type installation vs whatever more it would cost for installation with fitting for "appearance".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on this being a cosmetic issue.

The pipes at angles bugs me for some reason - I guess because I figured a installation by a plumber would include the adjustments to get everything plumb and level. The install was $350. That must be a price for a basic disconnect and reconnect type installation vs whatever more it would cost for installation with fitting for "appearance".

that is a basic installation , Pretty easy fix , Id just fix it myself . just a few parts from hardware store just turn off gas at that valve . Just use thread tape and a little pipe dope . other than that it looks good. Or call him and text him the pic, if he was a straight shooter he would take care of it I would think.

KC27

Reaction score
I take it all I need are longer versions of these two pipes to get everything straightened up. I already have the tape and pipe dope. Anything else?

IMG_3354_marked.jpg

IMG_3362_marked.jpg

Phog

Reaction score
Again hard to tell from the pics. What it looks like to me is that the vertical piece comes down from near ceiling to the floor at an angle, but the 90-elbow at it's bottom side is screwed on at such an offset angle that the last horizontal run at the bottom is actually plumb and square to the floor + water heater. Then there is a little 45-elbow just before the WH inlet.

Honestly that is fine and I'd leave it alone. You're going to end up rotating a fitting way back out of the picture so that the pipe up top runs square to the ceiling, and also taking apart a bunch of other fittings, just for something cosmetic. I agree that it looks funny but it will work fine.

If you want to fix it then there are probably a half dozen different ways. And things might not line up just right after the first attempt -- when I've installed WH i have installed gas line first & then moved WH until it lines up with where the gas pipe ends up. And then last connect up the water plumbing. To position the WH first and then connect the gas to it afterward is more difficult, since you don't have any wiggle room, this is what you are attempting to do now since the water pipes are already hard plumbed in & the WH can't budge. You will likely end up with one or more fittings that are 1/2" too short or too long (even if you try to measure perfectly) & have to make several trips to the hardware store until everything is right.

Last if you do this be 110% sure everything is tight and use leak detection compound on all the fittings including father back into the existing pipes on anything you may have torqued on inadvertantly during your mods. Gas is nothing to take lightly, easily the most dangerous thing if done wrong.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I take it all I need are longer versions of these two pipes to get everything straightened up. I already have the tape and pipe dope. Anything else?

IMG_3354_marked.jpg

IMG_3362_marked.jpg
the one on bottom circled correct the other one i would change or couple would be one below the shut off valve other wise gas to whole house needs turned off. and its easier to replace a short piece between union and gas valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you make the horizontal pipe literally horizontal, you'll need a longer piece below, too, as that would swing that end away from the WH. If the water supply wasn't hard piped, too, you could move the WH to compensate.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the process of moving the tee over where the 90% Elbow is will allow chance to get the other pipe straight,

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
It is a shame this is not in NYC as this would be an amazing easy case to sue the installer and have their license revoked

I have seen less sloppy work that the "plumber" lost their license and had major fines issued

Your pictures remind me of the master plumbers test on part 2 "error sheet"

We were givien a picture and had to find all the code violations and in your pictures there would also be remarks as what not to do in good plumbing practices

I see so many deficiencies including the energy codes

Would be intresting to see how many mistakes, code violations everyone picks up

Personally if I did the inspection I would red tag it all and post "this is what not to do"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks