Mud Shower Deck Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Zzsw7y

Reaction score
I am not sure i have a problem or not so i am asking.

I am building a shower 4x4, installed a Noble Preslope, then Oatey Shower pan Liner, then my shower deck mud. Did all the proper things according to TCNA standards.

the issue i am having is that i am hearing a crackling sound when i stop on the mud deck on by the curb. The curb is a Noble overlay curb that I thinset in over the 2x4 curb. The curb is wrapped with the shower pan so no leaks.

Is this something to worry about as the mud bed is solid. i am wondering if the mud bed is rubbing slightly against the curb.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
2x4 material, especially if you used pressure treated stuff, tends to come with a fair amount of moisture still in it, and shrinks. The PT stuff also tends to warp when it dries out. Not sure if it's an issue, but noises imply movement, which, in tiled environments is often a problem.

I'd run this by the folks at www.johnbridge.com ...they have lots more professional tilers there to offer more qualified responses.

Zzsw7y

Reaction score
2x4 material, especially if you used pressure treated stuff, tends to come with a fair amount of moisture still in it, and shrinks. The PT stuff also tends to warp when it dries out. Not sure if it's an issue, but noises imply movement, which, in tiled environments is often a problem.

I'd run this by the folks at www.johnbridge.com ...they have lots more professional tilers there to offer more qualified responses.

The 2x4s are normal 2x4s....its not the 2x4s that are making the noise its the deck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I wonder if you may have needed a larger notched trowel on the liner when installing the curb cap, so there's a gap. If the 2x4's weren't nice and straight, there could have been a gap, or one developed as they sat. What is the floor? A slab, or wooden subflooring? If a slab, did you put any moisture barrier underneath the 2x4 material? If the slab wicked any water, the 2x4 material may have warped, or they warped as they dried out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks