Moving Vertical Drain Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

bebs

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and any help is really appreciated!

I knocked out a wall on the ground floor of my house and within this wall was a 3" drain pipe coming from a bathroom directly above (see attached image). I'd like to move this pipe to the left about 4ft so that it will be close to the wall where it can then be boxed in with framing and sheetrock.

My thought on how to move this pipe was to start with a long sweep 90 at the top, then add a straight section that's about 4ft, then add a medium sweep 90 going from horizontal to vertical, then add the vertical section, then do the same thing in reverse under the floor in the crawlspace.

Is this an acceptable approach? I'm confused about how to slope the 4ft horizontal sections at the required 1/4" per ft. Just adding the 90s as described above would leave the horizontal sections flat. Is there some type of fitting I can use to add the slope? If I push on the top to pitch the pipe then that will put stress on the pipe and make the long vertical section not straight which doesnt seem right to me. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1546180482088-1649317712.jpg
    1546180482088-1649317712.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 195

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not even worth worrying about. The fittings have the pitch cast into them and even if they did not there is enough "play" in the joints to flex the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
You should add a cleanout. I am thinking on the long vertical, but the 4 ft horizontal may be OK. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks