Code interpretation - Change of direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Stereo

Reaction score
The 2018 IPC Section 708.1.4 states, in part, that when a 2" horizontal drainage pipe has a change of direction greater than 45 degrees, a cleanout is required. If I make a 90-degree turn using two 45's, do I still need a cleanout? The distance between the 45-degree fittings would only be about 6". Each change of direction is 45 degrees but the overall change of direction is 90 degrees. I'm not sure this configuration would reduce resistance any more than a long sweep 90 so I'm worried it won't pass muster.

Due to obstructions, I can't reduce the overall angle that the drain enters the stack. The pipe is running through a crawl space in which I can't meet the requirement of 24" vertical access to a cleanout.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Change of direction.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you put a cleanout in within 40 ft upstream?
708.1.4 Changes of direction.

Where a horizontal drainage pipe, a building drain or a building sewer has a change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad), a cleanout shall be installed at the change of direction. Where more than one change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad) occurs within 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping, the cleanout installed for the first change of direction shall serve as the cleanout for all changes in direction within that 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping.

Stereo

Reaction score
Can you put a cleanout in within 40 ft upstream?
708.1.4 Changes of direction.

Where a horizontal drainage pipe, a building drain or a building sewer has a change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad), a cleanout shall be installed at the change of direction. Where more than one change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad) occurs within 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping, the cleanout installed for the first change of direction shall serve as the cleanout for all changes in direction within that 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping.

Stereo

Reaction score
I came up with a different approach that avoids this situation, but I’m still curious to know the answer for when a cleanout cannot be installed - even within 40’ - due to access limitations.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I came up with a different approach that avoids this situation, but I’m still curious to know the answer for when a cleanout cannot be installed - even within 40’ - due to access limitations.
In your diagram a cleanout is easily added by using a wye instead of an 1/8th bend.

Stereo

Reaction score
In your diagram a cleanout is easily added by using a wye instead of an 1/8th bend.
Not enough headroom, per code. I’m still hoping someone will answer me about whether using two 45s takes away the need for a clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks