Moving kitchen sink -venting question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rich6705, Mar 29, 2021.

1. rich6705

rich6705 New Member

VA Social Worker
    Hello. First time post here with a novice question. My 1st floor kitchen is gutted down to the studs, and I am considering moving the sink to the opposite wall, close to where the existing vent for the basement laundry tub runs up the wall to the roof. The sink would drain to the main stack, similarly to how it was drained in its previous location. Can the kitchen sink can be vented by simply tying it into the existing laundry tub vent? Does this diagram work? Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. breplum

breplum Member

Plumbing and heating contractor
    You can indeed tie into that galvanized vent. The new kitchen vent must rise to a point 6" above the sink flood rim before going horizontal to tie in. (or use 45 degree like your sketch. But 45 degree is a lot of work for no benefit.
    My recommendation: Remove all the galvanized piping you can NOW.
    Old steel will typically, eventually, rust out and having the wall open is an opportunity not to be passed up!!!
    I certainly would recommend converting that 3" ABS drain from upstairs to cast iron, just for noise reduction purposes

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. rich6705

rich6705 New Member

VA Social Worker
    Thank you breplum for your response and suggestions! So like this with tee going to the vertical vent?

Attached Files: