Mortar or No Mortar - American Standard Cambridge

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
I am about to set an Americast tub - Cambridge model - and am deciding if I should bed the tub in thinset or minimal expanding foam. American Standard says that it isn't necessary but it sounds a bit hollow to me when standing in it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

DTAZ

Reaction score
None is required but it can firm things up.
Thanks. I bedded it in thinset. That way the ledger is not doing all the work. It's curing now but even the feel of the tub compressing the mortar and the satisfying dull thud of a tap on the bottom inspires much more confidence than that hollow ring they have without support.

DTAZ

Reaction score
None is required but it can firm things up.
Related question: the apron is shimmed to get the tub level. The resulting a gap between apron and subfloor ranges from 1/32" to 1/8". The apron is supported on 4 shims, one on each end and then two more spaced evenly on 20" intervals. What product is best in the gap that will function as a seal against water running under the apron and to add some additional support between the shim locations? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks