More tile layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Yankfan7

Reaction score
I am going to lay 12 x 12 travertine tile on diagonal with a 4 inch border aroung the perimeter of our master bathroom. What is the best way to go about it? Border first, diagonal first, or all together?:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A diagonal layout looks best (IHHO), if the outside consists of half-size tiles up against the boarder, with no small pieces. It very much would depend on the size of the room. I'd consider, if it was close to achieving that, to adjust the boarder slightly smaller or larger to accomplish that. You'll get a lot more opinions on this at www.johnbridge.com. The first thing, though, is to verify that the floor structure is strong enough for a natural stone tile installation. The average home does not have a wooden subfloor strong enough to install stone without some reinforcement. The subfloor requires two layers of plywood as well. Check out that site...you may need to reconsider. Cutting the stone on the diagonal, accurately, is also a little tricky and requires a larger than normal saw - on the diagonal, you need a saw that can cut nearly 17".

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Check with johnbridges, but my thoughts are this:
► First, do a complete dry layout, to get the plan
► Lay the border, then start in the middle of the room, working outwards, following the diagonal layout lines. Any final trim cuts are made on the big tile as it meets the border
► Do a lot of advance layout planning, to avoid any tiny slivers at the meeting with the border.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks