Moen pull out Kitchen faucet minimal flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

sschoe2

Reaction score
Yet another plumbing issue on my new house after dealing with the leaky laundry facet from h#ll Friday, bath tub, and orphaned water heater. There is almost no flow coming from the kitchen faucet (spray is a bit better than stream) so I realize that means the filter at the bottom of the wand and/or the aerator at the other end is clogged with debris or deposits. The filter by the hose end looks easy to get to but the aerator I think needs a special tool or something to take off there are perpendicular slots on the center stream portion of it. Can you get a tool for that? I've been through several youtube videos and it looks like a pain and mine does not have any raised section to grasp with a wrench/pliers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The parts book does not show the aerator as a separate piece, nor the wrench, so I would call Moen (1-800-BUY-MOEN) and have them send a new wand. It could be what is clogged anyway.

sschoe2

Reaction score
The parts book does not show the aerator as a separate piece, nor the wrench, so I would call Moen (1-800-BUY-MOEN) and have them send a new wand. It could be what is clogged anyway.
From the youtube videos the aerator/spray holes piece can be screwed off the end of the wand for cleaning but it is a real jerk and you might need a special tool depending on the model.

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
Faucet model number might help.
Do you have good pressure with the wand removed coming straight out of the hose?

sschoe2

Reaction score
It is an Arbor pullout looks like I lucked out the filter on the hose side caught some rust particles I just cleaned it with water, air, and a toothbrush and the flow is fine. Somehow the hot and cold are reversed. I don't know how that came to be the supplies coming through the wall are on the right sides and it doesn't look to be cross connected. On some Moen faucet the cartridge needs to be rotated 180 degrees and when replacing it it is tough to tell which way it should go. According to Moen this faucet uses a 1255 cartridge which doesn't have this issue so I need to reverse the hookups.

Edit the labeled hoses on the faucet are hooked up to the correct valves. Weird.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 1225 DOES rotate the STEM, not the entire cartridge, to reverse the flow. Just remove the handle and rotate the stem. Do NOT turn off the water, or remove the clip, or rotate the cartridge.

moen-1255-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sschoe2

Reaction score
The 1225 DOES rotate the STEM, not the entire cartridge, to reverse the flow. Just remove the handle and rotate the stem. Do NOT turn off the water, or remove the clip, or rotate the cartridge.
You mean the 1255? so take of the handle and with needlenoses rotate the metal nub 180 degrees? Moen says the only thing to do is reverse the hookups on the 1255.

https://www.moen.com/customer-support/faq/faq-075
"If your faucet uses a 1225 cartridge, then the handle can be removed and the stem of the cartridge can be rotated 180 degrees (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) and reinstalling the handle. Another option would be to reverse the supply lines feeding the faucet. If your faucet uses either the 1255 or 4000 cartridge, then the only option would be to reverse the supply lines feeding the faucet."

Watching a youtube video the 1255 cartridge is keyed so it can only go in one way. Which is all the more puzzeling how this could have happened as the labeled hoses are hooked up to the correct supply valves.

moen-1255-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited:

sschoe2

Reaction score
It turns out it may not be reversed after all I read a couple of reviews that said on this faucet down is cold and up is hot even though up is to the right and down is to the left. Even the home inspector thought it was reversed and noted it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks