Moen Single Handle Pull Down Kitchen Faucet water supply hose question

Users who are viewing this thread

Clyde15

Reaction score
The Moen single handle pull down kitchen faucets, such as the Essie or Arbor--- is it possible to replace the built-in hot & cold water supply hoses?? I just replaced my 2009 faucet because over the past year the hot water flow was drastically reduced. I knew that the flow from my pipes was strong, so I figured it was the cartridge, so I replaced it. But that did nothing. Ended up buying a new faucet, so I took apart the old one because I wanted to find out what was causing the low flow. It turned out that where the hot water supply hose connects inside the base of the faucet, it was clogged up with bits of what appeared to be rubber (perhaps a small washer where it connects?) Anyway, my question is this --- on these types of faucets where the hoses are built-in at the factory, is there anyway to remove the hose and replace it? I tried to remove the hose (just to see if I could since I was performing an autopsy on the thing) and I could not remove it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The small bits of rubber on the hot side are from the wall shutoff. The multi-turn shutoffs have small rubber washers that break up under the heat. If I'm replacing a kitchen faucet that has plugged on the hot side, I also change out the shutoffs. I do this before I install the new faucet.

To unplug the hot side of the faucet, you can sometimes clear it by removing the hot supply at the wall and directing it into a bucket, then opening the faucet and forcing cold across the valve and into the hot supply. Sometimes that works. And sometimes you're replacing the faucet anyway.

Clyde15

Reaction score
If I were to disconnect the hose from the hot supply at the wall and put that end of the hose into a bucket, how do I then re-direct cold water to come through that hose and into the bucket?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hold your finger over the spout? Put a coin where the aerator would normally be?

J. Vannoy

Reaction score
The Moen single handle pull down kitchen faucets, such as the Essie or Arbor--- is it possible to replace the built-in hot & cold water supply hoses?? I just replaced my 2009 faucet because over the past year the hot water flow was drastically reduced. I knew that the flow from my pipes was strong, so I figured it was the cartridge, so I replaced it. But that did nothing. Ended up buying a new faucet, so I took apart the old one because I wanted to find out what was causing the low flow. It turned out that where the hot water supply hose connects inside the base of the faucet, it was clogged up with bits of what appeared to be rubber (perhaps a small washer where it connects?) Anyway, my question is this --- on these types of faucets where the hoses are built-in at the factory, is there anyway to remove the hose and replace it? I tried to remove the hose (just to see if I could since I was performing an autopsy on the thing) and I could not remove it.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put this here for anyone finding it via Google search (like I did). It is possible to remove the Moen factory-installed supply lines. They are threaded on the end, so you remove them my turning counter-clockwise and unscrewing. They are installed pretty tight so you'll have to turn pretty hard, but they will break loose and unscrew. When I removed ours, I found debris lodged in the (rather small) opening of the threaded end, which was causing low flow on the hot side. Just like the OP in this thread, I found the debris to be bits of dry-rotted rubber that came out of the shutoff under the sink. My advice to anyone replacing a faucet: if your shutoffs are old, especially if they are the multi-turn type, do yourself a favor and replace the shutoffs (preferably with quarter-turn) before you replace the faucet.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Could you get away with just replacing the washers? You can get them for a few cents or a rebuild kit for a few bucks. Angle stops are not too expensive if you know where to get them, but it's pretty quick to change the washer and doesn't require cutting the pipe.

axxell

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put this here for anyone finding it via Google search (like I did). It is possible to remove the Moen factory-installed supply lines. They are threaded on the end, so you remove them my turning counter-clockwise and unscrewing. They are installed pretty tight so you'll have to turn pretty hard, but they will break loose and unscrew. When I removed ours, I found debris lodged in the (rather small) opening of the threaded end, which was causing low flow on the hot side. Just like the OP in this thread, I found the debris to be bits of dry-rotted rubber that came out of the shutoff under the sink. My advice to anyone replacing a faucet: if your shutoffs are old, especially if they are the multi-turn type, do yourself a favor and replace the shutoffs (preferably with quarter-turn) before you replace the faucet.
Good update, what type of wrench did you use to unscrew them from the moen head? Seems like a tight fit in there.... Need to replace mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks