Minimum Restroom Requirements In Commercial Building (Mercantile)?

Discussion in 'IPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by PM5K, Nov 19, 2015.

1. PM5K

PM5K Member

I don't see a ton of commercial questions here, but I figure qualified people know the answers even if those questions haven't been asked.

Is a bathroom required for a commercial facility operating as a mercantile? The code seems to say so, 1 WC per 500 which I assume means you need at least one up to 500, once you go over 500 you need two, etc. Also even if you only have 25, you still need one. What throws me off is it says you need a drinking fountain, 1 per thousand?

What about shared facilities through a neighboring commercial establishment?

2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    And what if the neighboring establishment, closes, or is sold and the new owners do not allow access? You need your own.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. PM5K

PM5K Member

You are correct sir. After many calls we found the answer. They also mentioned concerns about theft as well.

I believe they distinguish between shared and common. Also, regarding the water fountain, code says mercantile with 15 or less is not required, local code amends it to 30.

Seems like one of the hardest parts of being a trade is knowing, and keeping up with code.

5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

And you sure would want to do more than the minimum would you?

6. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    As one of my associates used to say when he went to city hall, "Well, what's the code for today"?

DonL likes this.