Miltiple pressure tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Awestaway

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry for the long explanation, but trying to be clear in explaining. I am in the process of renovating and reconfiguring some plumbing in my house. Currently it has 2 pressure tanks, a larger (not sure size) fiberglass one, where the pressure switch is, in the basement where the well comes in, and a 2nd tank, on the 3rd floor. The second tank is built into a cabinet and virtually impossible to access. I believe this tank was originally where the pressure switch was, before a prior reconfiguration in 1994.

The house has essentially 2 separate everything, from the original build, and a large addition in the 90's. Yep, 2 hot water heaters, even 2 boilers, but only 1 well. The cold water supplies are seperated juust after the pressure tank in the basement, that's where the plumbing gets interesting. The original side is plumbed in circles, must be 40 feet of extra pipe in the system, that part i can fix.

The newer side has the 3rd floor tank, connected to a standard tank T in a 3/4 inch copper line that then goes on to feed the second water heater, in the basement, as well as 2 bathrooms. I need to move the 3/4 line that feeds that pressure tank, and am wondering if i need it, and if i were to leave it, can i make it so its at the end of a run, about 6 feet from a Tee rather than the way its configured now?
As its currently configured, we have great water pressure throughout the house, but we are rmodeling due to a water issue, and tanks in cabinets that aren't accessible on the 3rd floor make me nervous. I would like to be able to relocate this tank if its needed later, but that can't be part of this project right now.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not good to have multiple pressure tanks in different locations. They will not fill at the same time and cause the pump to cycle on again to finish filling the second tank. Remove the second tank and make sure the pressure switch is with the first tank. If one tank is not enough and causes the pump to cycle too much, adding another tank in the same location will help. But adding a Cycle Stop Valve instead of another tank will give you much stronger constant pressure in the house, eliminate many more cycles than any number of pressure tanks could achieve, and make the pump and everything in the system last longer as well. If you are "upgrading" your water system, especially if you want better pressure, a CSV is the best way to do that.

Awestaway

Reaction score
Thanks @Valveman ! I was really hoping to just remove every aspect of that second tank from my system for now, really simplifies so much. To do that. Thanks for the quick reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks