Metal cover for PEX rough in ..is there any way to avoid screwing the cover through the tiles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
Can u get to the back side of the wall?
get like in what ? Remove the tile or drill to get to the wall?
I can do both the problem is that the hole for the rough in is too wide and the holes for the cover will get too close to that and an anchor will expand and crack the tile if the tile does not get cracked during the drilling which is problematic because I am too close to the edge of the rough in hole

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still don't understand what the issue is with this. What actual purpose does the sleeve serve that it needs to be screwed into the tile?

What is the edge margin for the tile? From the photo it looks like there should be plenty of room to get a small hole drilled with at least 1/4" between holes.

Mini Me

Reaction score
I still don't understand what the issue is with this. What actual purpose does the sleeve serve that it needs to be screwed into the tile?

What is the edge margin for the tile? From the photo it looks like there should be plenty of room to get a small hole drilled with at least 1/4" between holes.
I tried to drill in some left over tile pieces and they cracked .... maybe I used the wrong drill bit, I used these https://www.homedepot.ca/product/av...-for-glass-tile-drilling-4-pieces-/1001621487

takes a lot of force to make them drill -they are crap

Reach4

Reaction score
get like in what ? Remove the tile or drill to get to the wall?
I can do both the problem is that the hole for the rough in is too wide and the holes for the cover will get too close to that and an anchor will expand and crack the tile if the tile does not get cracked during the drilling which is problematic because I am too close to the edge of the rough in hole
Your last sentence was not as understandable as you thought it was.

Is the tile porcelain tile?

Anyway, I would consider a right-angle stop valve at the wall, and then hide all of your adapting behind that European toilet skirt.
stainless-steel-sharkbite-shut-off-valves-23036-0000lf-64_100.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My take is that the current plan for assembling the valve and various adapters to the end of the PEX stubout is going to put a non-trivial amount of weight on the cantilevered PEX. The metal sleeve would restrain the PEX and take some of the weight, if it is rigidly mounted.

Try the silicone suggestion, tape the sleeve in place where you want it, give it 24 hours to cure. If the silicone fails, you'll be able to scrape it off and research other options. You could always (destructively) remove the one tile and reinstall a new tile with a smaller hole for the PEX and predrilled holes for the cover.

Can u get to the back side of the wall?
I believe the OP said that the tile is applied over strapping/insulation over a basement cement block wall, so that would not be possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Mini Me

Reaction score

Mini Me

Reaction score
My take is that the current plan for assembling the valve and various adapters to the end of the PEX stubout is going to put a non-trivial amount of weight on the cantilevered PEX. The metal sleeve would restrain the PEX and take some of the weight, if it is rigidly mounted.

Try the silicone suggestion, tape the sleeve in place where you want it, give it 24 hours to cure. If the silicone fails, you'll be able to scrape it off and research other options. You could always (destructively) remove the one tile and reinstall a new tile with a smaller hole for the PEX and predrilled holes for the cover.

I believe the OP said that the tile is applied over strapping/insulation over a basement cement block wall, so that would not be possible.

Cheers, Wayne
the tile is attached to the wall using silicone and "grouted" with matching silicone so in theory I could remove it, I installed it like that having in mind this type of problems but I would not do it just for this
I think minimzing the hardware used and using a shorted braided connected there should diminish the problem
if I can find a way to properly attach that cover/plate that would be very good

Mini Me

Reaction score
It think that the best solution here will be to use two of these
1420707431193.jpeg

and drill two new holes in the plate so that 1 and 2 overlap 3 and 4 in the picture !!
CQx1GNg.png

WorBry

Reaction score
Here is a picture of what I am dealing with
I am not crazy about having to drill next to the existing hole there
Besides that there is a long way to the cinder blocks, I need to go through the tile+thinset, drywall and expanded polystyrene insulation so I will have little control on how an anchor will attach to the wall and I would need long and thin screws
Is there any other way to install this ?
The PEX will take a sharkbite at the end

View attachment 79876

@ Mini Me,

I'm just finishing a bathroom re-model, tiled throughout. All of the existing Poly B pipe was replaced with Pex. I had a plumber in to do that. The 1/2" stub-out for the toilet was anchored with J-clamps to 2x4 cross-piece set in the wood frame. It's passing through 1/2" dry wall, 10mm glazed ceramic tile plus around 1/4" thinset.

IMG_5219 resized.jpg

There's no wiggle. Still I'd like to secure and cover it with a chrome tube and flange largely for aesthetics. I'll be using Waterline Push'N'Connect chrome angle stop valve.

Looks like the one shown in your photo is a Keeney (K857-30) 'Pex Stub-Out Support and Cover' ? Is that what you ended up using with the Sharkbite coupling?

Can't find it in the local stores (Montreal area) - I'd have to order from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Plumb-Pak-Keeney-Mfg-K857-30/dp/B07N7FVXPX

As you were at the time, I’m just a bit hesitant about drilling so close to the 1” hole in the tile the pipe passes through.

There are also four 1/2” stub-outs for the double vanity.

IMG_5213 resized.jpg

IMG_5215 resized.jpg

Two of them were securely anchored to the studs. The other two were passed behind and over 1-1/2" drain/vent pipe and secured with plastic ties. With those there is a bit of lateral wiggle – reducing the tile hole size to 3/4” helped, but not completely. Since they are hidden from view, I’m not bothered about aesthetics. Which would be better – filling the holes around the pipes with grout or silicone caulk ?

Cheers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks