Cleanest way to bring PEX out of drywall for filter install?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, but have spent some time digging through.

I am going to install a whole home water filter setup in my home.

It is a fairly new home (about 4 years old with PEX throughput). I have a PEX manifold in the garage being fed from the bottom (Viega if it is of any concern) so I have to tap in before that.

I'm comfortable working with PEX and have used both crimp and Sharkbites before for repairs / additions at the in-laws, etc., so the how to do it is not my concern- I have all the fittings lined out and know exactly how it is going to be piped.

My concern is the aesthetics and access.

The PEX manifold is recessed between studs with a plastic cover. To access the feed line, I have to cut drywall beneath it. (Easy enough).

Once I cut it, I have to put 90s on the line for an Out to filter / In from filter.

Coming out of the drywall like that, what is the cleanest way to run the PEX through drywall? It is a semi finished space- drywall and painted, but some gaps at the bottom near concrete (putting a trim is on the to-do list as well, but I run out of hours in the day...)

I have thought about cutting an access panel in to the side of where the line is to allow access, but not disturb the drywall so I can just put an escutcheon run on the two lines feeding out.

I have thought about buying an ice maker hookup box and removing the fitting to allow the PEX to pass into the box and then put the 90 on to come out.

I can't decide what my best option is, and either I have failed to search the right phrase to get good results, or no one wants to talk about and post pictures of what they have done.

Hope this all make sense- let me know if I need to clarify.

Thanks!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Why not have that on the wall in the garage? Or is there a potential freezing problem?

I presume you are talking about a cartridge filter.

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
Filter system will be mounted on the wall in the garage. (No worries of freezing in garage).

Since the feed I have to splice into is inside the drywall though, I'm looking for a clean way to bring it to the outside of the drywall for connection to the filter system. don't want to just cut a big hole and leave it open- I want to close it back up with just the In / Out lines going through the drywall / plate / box, etc.

Don't have pics of it and I am out of town now- hoping that makes sense.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think an icemaker or washer box will add restrictions. I think those are normally for 1/2 inch or smaller. I could be wrong. I think you want just 3/4 or 1 inch pex holes in the wall, with escutcheons.

You might consider a bypass. If your o-ring fails and you don't have a spare, you would be out of water with no bypass.

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely adding a bypass in as well.

As far as an ice maker or washer box, I was thinking of removing the fitting and basically just using the existing hole where the fitting was to pass through to come out of the wall cavity (might have to enlarge to fit the 1" pex but nothing a step bit can't handle). Shouldn't be any restriction of flow in that case (obviously would be if I tried to leave the small fittings on).

Appreciate the input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's room in the wall (enough depth), had you considered putting the filter IN the wall with a removeable cover? If you needed some more depth, you could make a box as the cover to give you more depth.

Every PEX fitting you use adds some restrictions, so you want to avoid them when possible as they are also a potential failure point.

If the area in the garage could get some direct sunlight, keep in mind that any exposed pex needs to be protected from that UV light.

If I was putting it outside the wall, I'd transfer to copper to go to the filter.

For a whole house filter, you want a pretty large cartridge and good sized in/out ports to retain good flow with minimal pressure loss and not need to replace the cartridge all that often. You may want to add a couple of water pressure gauges, one on the inlet and another on the outlet...that would give you an idea if the filter was clogged and what kind of losses you're getting through the system.

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
The area the filter will be mounted is on the back wall of a tandem garage, so it is about 40' back from the garage door, so I'm not real worried on UV exposure. (Not enough depth to mount in the wall, but now you have me thinking about framing something out to cover it...)

The PEX feed into the home is 1", and the filter ports (three stage 4" x 20" filter system) are 1" as well, so not super concerned on pressure loss when everything from the manifold on is 1/2" PEX.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Passive UV will still ultimately degrade the PEX, just not as fast. The easiest way to have a clean looking installation is to have your stubouts be mounted very solidly so when you change the filter you don't get a lot of movement at the drywall patch. I would cut the drywall with a 1/4 gap and not worry about filling in that gap with mud. Put a nice escutcheon over it and caulk that to the wall.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toy
The area the filter will be mounted is on the back wall of a tandem garage, so it is about 40' back from the garage door, so I'm not real worried on UV exposure. (Not enough depth to mount in the wall, but now you have me thinking about framing something out to cover it...)

The pex feed into the home is 1", and the filter ports (three stage 4" x 20" filter system) are 1" as well, so not super concerned on pressure loss when everything from the manifold on is 1/2" pex.
You should be worried about uv degradation. It's nice that your not, but it will degrade from being exposed.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are various ways to protect PEX from UV including tape, insulation and latex paint. I don't think the paint adheres well to PEX, but it forms a cohesive film around the PEX.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
Toy

You should be worried about uv degradation. It's nice that your not, but it will degrade from being exposed.

First, I plan on using insulation on anything exposed from the wall just in case (even the freeze we had here in TX where we lost power this year for several days only got the garage to 37 degrees, but why chance it). That should eliminate the worry.

That said, out of curiosity more than anything, is there really enough UV rays that would bounce off the concrete near the garage door opening and hit the pipes 40' back to be concerned?

I would have assumed since there is zero direct light and the area is that far back it would have been negligible.

With the insulation it shouldn't be an issue, but still curious on that- I like learning stuff!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, I plan on using insulation on anything exposed from the wall just in case (even the freeze we had here in TX where we lost power this year for several days only got the garage to 37 degrees, but why chance it). That should eliminate the worry.

That said, out of curiosity more than anything, is there really enough UV rays that would bounce off the concrete near the garage door opening and hit the pipes 40' back to be concerned?

I would have assumed since there is zero direct light and the area is that far back it would have been negligible.

With the insulation it shouldn't be an issue, but still curious on that- I like learning stuff!
A basement with tiny windows is a concern. I have seen posts with people curious about why their pex is degrading. The only thing it got narrowed down to is the basement windows. I'm not a scientist, but if a dark basement with little windows and pipe in the ceiling is a concern than I would say the back of a garage would be too. You should call the manufacturer and ask if they will honor a their warranty in a situation like yours. Let us know what they say. Although I'm pretty sure what they'll say.

MikeKinTX

Reaction score
A basement with tiny windows is a concern. I have seen posts with people curious about why their pex is degrading. The only thing it got narrowed down to is the basement windows. I'm not a scientist, but if a dark basement with little windows and pipe in the ceiling is a concern than I would say the back of a garage would be too. You should call the manufacturer and ask if they will honor a their warranty in a situation like yours. Let us know what they say. Although I'm pretty sure what they'll say.

Interesting. I would not have guessed there would be enough UV at that point to even think twice about it.

Guess you learn something new every day!

axxell

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, but have spent some time digging through.

It is a fairly new home (about 4 years old with PEX throughput). I have a PEX manifold in the garage being fed from the bottom (Viega if it is of any concern) so I have to tap in before that.

I'm comfortable working with PEX and have used both crimp and Sharkbites before for repairs / additions at the in-laws, etc., so the how to do it is not my concern- I have all the fittings lined out and know exactly how it is going to be piped.

My concern is the aesthetics and access.

The PEX manifold is recessed between studs with a plastic cover. To access the feed line, I have to cut drywall beneath it. (Easy enough).

Once I cut it, I have to put 90s on the line for an Out to filter / In from filter.

Coming out of the drywall like that, what is the cleanest way to run the PEX through drywall? It is a semi finished space- drywall and painted, but some gaps at the bottom near concrete (putting a trim is on the to-do list as well, but I run out of hours in the day...)

I have thought about cutting an access panel in to the side of where the line is to allow access, but not disturb the drywall so I can just put an escutcheon run on the two lines feeding out.

I have thought about buying an ice maker hookup box and removing the fitting to allow the PEX to pass into the box and then put the 90 on to come out.

I can't decide what my best option is, and either I have failed to search the right phrase to get good results, or no one wants to talk about and post pictures of what they have done.

Hope this all make sense- let me know if I need to clarify.

Thanks!!!!
Old post but curious how this turned out? I'm about to do the same, aesthetics is a concern. Did you find any sort of box that worked for it?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old post but curious how this turned out? I'm about to do the same, aesthetics is a concern. Did you find any sort of box that worked for it?
There are concealed outlet boxes for water supplies. I don't think they look great on a wall hung style installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks