Media removal

Users who are viewing this thread

BIGBREW

Reaction score
How do you remove your media without flipping the tank over and dumping it out. That would be my usual attack plan but right now I only have one strong hand. There a secret to being able to hold a drink in the bad hand while I do this?

Reach4

Reaction score
0. Siphon out what water you can by sticking a tube down the distributor tube. Suck to start the siphon.

1. Use a 1-inch pvc pipe, along side of the distributor tube . Push that in and out and around as best you can until you can do step 2. Note that for each diameter, you might need a shorter pipe initially until the media is lower. Once you can get the distributor tube out, go to step 2.

2. Now that the distributor tube is out, you have a bigger hole. Use a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe held/taped to the hose of a wet-dry vac. Be ready to empty that vac several times. If you cannot pull the distributor code yet, do step 1 until you can.

3. As the media is farther down, switch to a longer pipe (maybe 56 inches) but you may have to tilt the tank to clear the ceiling. But as there is less and less media in there, tilting gets easier.

Or siphon the water. Strap the tank to a hand truck. Then pay a strong person to haul the tank up the basement stairs to where you want to dump the media.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks