Masterbath CPVC and sharkbites?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin_

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/RhcHg

It started as two rooms combined into one large bathroom, 17.5'x11.5'. Open two person shower, they are reusing as much as possible for just about everything as you can see. In the end it's having two delta valves, two diverters, two standard shower heads, two rain shower heads and a shower arm. Behind this wall is attic space above garage. Our house is 100% copper, but they are using cpvc, and using sharkbites at many in wall concealed connections. Demo was done by grunt workers, electrician did electrical, plumbing and the rest is being done by the GCs two main guys. Planned waterproofing is Densshield and PVC Shower Pan Liner. Much more details in imgur descriptions. Any advise is helpful, we are 6 days into the project and have concerns. how they should properly reroute supply and drain to wall, use of sharkbites behind walls, slight forced bends in CPVC.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's so inexpensive to glue CPVC and fast, that it does not make sense to make numerous connections with Sharkbites. Maybe to convert from copper to CPVC, but other than that, it's a waste of materials and costly.

Keep in mind a couple of things:
- even in VA, it gets below freezing...make sure the pipes in the attic are just above the ceiling and well covered with insulation
- CPVC is a standard pipe size on the OD, but is considerably smaller on the ID, so especially if you're planning a multiple head shower, you could easily run into supply volume problems using CPVC verses copper. Also, if this is a tub/shower, you CANNOT use CPVC from the valve to the tub spout, or you're going to have issues.

There's more than one way to make a successful, reliable shower, but all it takes is messing up one detail, and it can be a horrible mess. I suggest you run your plans through the people over at www.johnbridge.com and spend some time reading there, especially in their 'Libbery' (sic). While not technically hard, it is VERY detail oriented, and all it takes is one misstep. Don't fall for the 'but I've been doing it like this for years with no problems' line...some of the problems do not show up for awhile. A tiled shower should last until you decide to remodel, not because it failed. A properly built one does NOT fail.

Kevin_

Reaction score
So we had a licensed plumber come out and inspect the work. Multiple drain elbows were not to code with hard 90 degree fittings, including the shower drain trap. If we ever had to snake any drain it wouldn't work. Even used a sharkbite T for a simple 3 CPVC connection. The GC is fired and we are now bringing in subs to properly finish the work.

Addison

Reaction score
I agree on the sharbites. not even the cost in factor, I just wouldn't trust them behind a wall. they have not been around long enough to know the life expectancy of them; we know CPVC glue works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks