Marble Threshold Height Above Tiles

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Newmantjn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Newmantjn

Newmantjn New Member

Trying to figure out what to do with my yet to be purchased marble threshold.

What is the minimum/maximum and optimal height that the top of the threshold should be above the tile?

How much height should I allow for the thinset etc.?

Option #1 = Ditra with tile: 1/4" nominal tile thickness + 1/8" Ditra + thinset under ditra + thinset over ditra.
    Option #2 = Hardibacker with tile : 1/4" nominal tile thickness + 1/4" Hardibacker + thinset under Hardibacker + Thinset over Hardibacker.

I have the ability to adjust the subfloor a bit under the threshold. I currently have 1/2" plywood (original construction + 3/4" plywood, recently added by me. Next layer is either Ditra or hardibacker,

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

While a Neato or Roomba robot vacuum can typically cross a 3/4 inch tall threshold, I would not feel comfortable with such a high threshold. It could be a tripping hazard IMO. A 3/16 or quarter inch seems about right to me to be enough to keep spilled water from passing. I am not a pro.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The marble threshold at my mother's house into the bathroom is in the order of at least 1/2" on the tiled side, and a slight bit taller on the wood flooring in the hall. It's been about 5-years since installation, and hasn't presented itself as a major problem. Visually, it does stick out, so at least when there's enough light, you don't have an issue. I've walked into there a number of times at night when visiting without turning on the lights and have never tripped. If you can manipulate the stackup to make it smaller, it's still probably a good idea. The threshold that was installed at my mother's has a 45-degree angle cut on both sides that's probably close to 3/8-1/2" across, so it's not a straight step up.

5. Newmantjn

Newmantjn New Member

Thanks. I would to keep it 1/4" or smaller. Is it OK to mount the threshold directly to the the plywood underlayment? The rest of the bathroom would get either ditra or hardibacker.

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Probably not a problem. Typically, natural stone requires two layers of plywood, and if you tile directly to it, you need a premium modified thinset. Industry standards call for the structure to be twice as stiff as for ceramic tile. Given the thickness of the typical threshold, you could take a chance and ignore those guidelines...sometimes, you get lucky. Being natural stone, it will have some weakness in it in the veins, etc.

Take extra care to ensure you get 100% coverage underneath. It typically takes some effort on a larger 'tile' to smush the trowel ridges and spread the thinset to cover the entire surface.