Bathroom Transition / Threshold Options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Remodeling a bathroom and trying to determine the best transition option between the bathroom and the family room. Deciding between a Marble Threshold or Schulter.

The bathroom door opens into the bathroom.

Below is a photo showing the Ceramic Tile I will be using, a 4" Marbel Threshold, and the Vinyl Plank floor that will be installed in the Family Room.
tile to vinyl (1).jpg

I can only find 2" and 4" Marble Thresholds in my area that have the bevel built-in.

If I use a 4" Marble Threshold when the door is closed one will be able to see the marble threshold from the family room like shown in the example photo below:

1646934928896.png

I could use a 2" marble threshold but the door is 1 3/8" so either 5/8" will still see from the Family room or have to push Marble Threshold into the bathroom 5/8", which might look odd.

I could use a Schulter product but worried about the floor height difference. I will have to level the bathroom so that will add at least 1/8" plus 1/4" for thinset (large format tiles) and 1/4" for the ceramic tile. So the bathroom side will be at least 5/8" in height and the family room vinyl plank will be 1/4" high. The Marble Threshold comes with a bevel to help with the height transition.

Suggestions.

Danlar4470

Reaction score
We always strive to hide the transition under the door panel so its not visible when the door is closed tight. If your installing ceramic inside the bathroom, I would butt the transition to the door stops at the interior. It is acceptable in my mind to have it protrude into the inside of the bathroom further than the door jambs. You may have to notch the tiles to fit around the threshold, but with nice straight cuts it looks good to me. Personally I would rip the threshold to the width of the inside edge of the door stops to the front edge of the door jamb. Cut the threshold to length ( less the amount of a caulk joint on each end) to fit in between the door jambs. I would bevel the inside front edge of the piece on my tile saw and smooth with sanding block . Most vinyl plank tile calls for area to expand and contract. I would cut a rabbit on the bottom (family room side) large enough to slip your plank flooring under and have room for the vinyl to slide back and forth with out revealing the unfinished edge of the vinyl. Check your threshold to see if it is truly marble, many are a composite material that are easily cut and shaped. Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks