Main stack vent necessary ? Garage plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
Hello

Just built my garage this year and am currently installing my utility sink. My original plan was to put a toilet in the garage but that was ditched. For now I will only have a sink so I am wondering if running the main stack up through the roof is necessary since the sink has its own AAV. It goes to a septic tank which already has a vent stack from the house plumbing. Picture attached inside garage

Attachments

• 327259012_587254649899510_5722398855713868920_n.jpg
    327259012_587254649899510_5722398855713868920_n.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 120

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guys it depends. If your going to install a toilet at any point in your life I would install the stack vent while your building. There's no realistic situation where more venting isn't good.

If your only ever going to leave it a sink it may not be worth it, but it could be necessary from your local codes perspective as a septic tank and plumbing system usually require seperate vents and your septic vent will be at a much lower elevation.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I always run a line increased to 4" through the roof for my vent terminal.

You are in cold country so it is better to have a 4" vent to prevent hoarfrost

Depending on a piece of rubber and plastic to prevent toxic fumes from entering a structure is foolhardy

As John stated you're much better off venting the pipe like we do in civilized areas.

Last edited:

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
Guys it depends. If your going to install a toilet at any point in your life I would install the stack vent while your building. There's no realistic situation where more venting isn't good.

If your only ever going to leave it a sink it may not be worth it, but it could be necessary from your local codes perspective as a septic tank and plumbing system usually require seperate vents and your septic vent will be at a much lower elevation.
the septic has its own aeration system. Honestly for now I will most likely leave it as is and will complete the main stack come spring. Im not going to climb onto the roof this time of year lol. And a toilet is never going to happen, ive decided its not worth the space I will lose in the garage, the house is 20ft away