main shut off valve code requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

dld

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am doing an extensive remodel of my basement, including redoing all the mechanicals and electricals. This is in the Bellevue, WA area.

I am getting ready to replace the galvanized water main from the meter.
However, there was a previous addition to the house right over top ofthe water main.

So I will be relocating it to a different location in the basement where I can get access to the outside foundation dig and drill the concrete.

Here's the question. Is there a code requirement how far the main shut valve can be from where the main enters the house? I would like to have it in the utility room where it currently is. But the new location I am entering the foundation from is about 20 feet away. Right along the wall I was planning on using for the home theater.

Can I bring the PE pipe in the foundation and turn 90deg and bring it through drilled studs to the utility room?

Thanks.........Darin

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Ask yourself if you would like 20' of pipe in a finished area that you have no way of turning off should you have to. Put a valve behind a access panel where it enters the basement.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pe

That 90 turn will probably have to be an elbow, which means you WILL have a connection before the valve, and it IS one which could fail someday.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
A PE water service needs to terminate as soon as it enters the building, you then can run an approved material inside such as pex,cpvc or copper to the area where you'd like to have your main house shutoff. Keep in mind that when you replace a metallic water service in Bellevue, you need to either prove you have grounding rods in place at the electrical panel or have the last 10' of water service piping going into the house as metallic. Most homes with metallic water services also doubled as grounding for the electrical panel. You can also install grounding rods if you choose not to have part of your water service as metallic but that would require an electrical permit along with a plumbing permit. Be sure to maintain any bonding of pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks