main shut off valve code requirement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dld, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. dld

    dld New Member

    Nov 5, 2009
    Hi All,

    I am doing an extensive remodel of my basement, including redoing all the mechanicals and electricals. This is in the Bellevue, WA area.

    I am getting ready to replace the galvanized water main from the meter.
    However, there was a previous addition to the house right over top ofthe water main.

    So I will be relocating it to a different location in the basement where I can get access to the outside foundation dig and drill the concrete.

    Here's the question. Is there a code requirement how far the main shut valve can be from where the main enters the house? I would like to have it in the utility room where it currently is. But the new location I am entering the foundation from is about 20 feet away. Right along the wall I was planning on using for the home theater.

    Can I bring the PE pipe in the foundation and turn 90deg and bring it through drilled studs to the utility room?

  2. johnjh2o1

    johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

    Aug 9, 2009
    Ask yourself if you would like 20' of pipe in a finished area that you have no way of turning off should you have to. Put a valve behind a access panel where it enters the basement.

  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    That 90 turn will probably have to be an elbow, which means you WILL have a connection before the valve, and it IS one which could fail someday.
  5. Inspektor Ludwig

    Inspektor Ludwig Journeyman/Inspector

    May 11, 2006
    In the good ol' UPC
    A PE water service needs to terminate as soon as it enters the building, you then can run an approved material inside such as pex,cpvc or copper to the area where you'd like to have your main house shutoff. Keep in mind that when you replace a metallic water service in Bellevue, you need to either prove you have grounding rods in place at the electrical panel or have the last 10' of water service piping going into the house as metallic. Most homes with metallic water services also doubled as grounding for the electrical panel. You can also install grounding rods if you choose not to have part of your water service as metallic but that would require an electrical permit along with a plumbing permit. Be sure to maintain any bonding of pipes.
Similar Threads: main shut
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Main Shut Off Stripped & Repaired..? Dec 26, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Changing main shutoff Oct 17, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Main shut-off replacement Apr 17, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Condo. Main shut off. A screw? Jan 5, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Is this my main shutoff valve? Dec 11, 2015

Share This Page