Low *Tub Spout* Flow with All New Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Borisj

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just built a guest house myself. Everything is new, including pipes. With no cartridge installed, and the stops open far as they go (~½” of threads showing), I get ~8 GPM flow out of the Delta rough-in valve body (R10000-UNWS).

I’ve tried 3 cartridges (w/3/4" x 12" L brass nipple from valve body to spout drop-ear) and all badly reduce flow from the tub spout (i.e. showerhead flow restrictors are irrelevant here). #1 (RP46463) reduces it to 1.9 GPM. #2 (same model) reduces it to 2.3 GPM. #3 (RP47201, higher flow) reduces it to ~3.4 GPM. I’ve never installed a Delta cartridge before, but it seems straightforward, what could I be missing?

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Showers are supposed to be 2.5 gpm max by fed guideline (water saving), tubs a little more, running water through the open chassis of a shower valve is not what you can expect from the actual valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ve tried 3 cartridges and all badly reduce flow from the tub spout (i.e. showerhead flow restrictors are irrelevant here). #1 (RP46463) reduces it to 1.9 GPM. #2 (same model) reduces it to 2.3 GPM. #3 (RP47201, higher flow) reduces it to ~3.4 GPM. I’ve never installed a Delta cartridge before, but it seems straightforward, what could I be missing?
How many gpm for all-cold and for medium? I am wondering if there is some temperature thing, or maybe a path size thing.

Borisj

In the Trades
Reaction score
Showers are supposed to be 2.5 gpm max by fed guideline (water saving), tubs a little more, running water through the open chassis of a shower valve is not what you can expect from the actual valve.

I know, letting water run through the open chassis, was an experiment to prove that the plumbing before the chassis/rough-in is not the problem. When I put the cartridge in, I do not get anywhere near the stated flow rate for the *tub*... which is not affected by the 2.5 GPM restriction. Either way, the shower doesn't hit its rating either (tops out at 1.3 GPM).

How many gpm for all-cold and for medium? I am wondering if there is some temperature thing, or maybe a path size thing.

All my measurements are all-cold. Path size can't be the problem - the shower/tub is the first thing in line, and the fixtures later in the line have their expected/rated max flow (e.g. the washer shutoff set).

Reach4

Reaction score
If the path thru the valve inputs limits you, then medium may flow more GPM thru the tub spout.

I did not intend to imply that I had knowledge of those cartridges, but I only proposed an experiment.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
You may have gotten flux or sediment in the cartridge, soak in vinegar, let it sit, then shake it the vinegar.

If this happens to be a Jacuzzi valve, that's a known issue.

Borisj

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may have gotten flux or sediment in the cartridge, soak in vinegar, let it sit, then shake it the vinegar.

If this happens to be a Jacuzzi valve, that's a known issue.
The cartridge is totally clean and brand new. And it wasn't installed when I piped. Personally I would never solder near a cartridge. In this case, the tub spout outlet of the mixing valve goes 1/2" MPT (on cartridge) -> 1/2" to 3/4" FPT brass coupler -> 3/4" FPT brass nipple to tub spout drop ear. It's a Delta valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks