Low pressure for American Standard tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie Everett

Reaction score
I have an American standard faucet and a remodeled bathroom. I have an old house (1930), bit the bathroom was remodeled around the 80's. About a year ago, the hot water pressure only in the bathroom started going down. My hot water pressure is quite good everywhere else in the house, but the pressure has slowly gone down hill and now, the hot water is hardly coming out. I have repaired and changed the pipe that delivers hot water, replaced the cartridge in the faicet. The pressure is low coming out of the tub filler as well as the shower head. I've also noticed that when I turn on the water, then pull up the diverter on the tub filler, the shower head turns on, but a bit of water runs out of the tub faucet. I have a new baby in the house and I need help ASAP!!

Thanks!
Jamie

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn on the hot lavatory faucet. Then turn on the tub hot. Does the flow from lav faucet slow a lot? If so, the blockage is before the lav hot pipe tees off from the tub hot. If not, then the blockage is after.

I've also noticed that when I turn on the water, then pull up the diverter on the tub filler, the shower head turns on, but a bit of water runs out of the tub faucet
That is normal, but different diverter spouts dribble different amounts. A new diverter spout would be nice, but it will not solve this flow problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have 1930's galvanzied pipe, then it may be nearing the end of it's useful life. Hot lines start to close off sooner than the cold lines. It's why we do so many repipes on old homes. If you plan to repipe to the hot, do the cold also. With a baby in the house, I would plan on replacing the tub shower valve with a pressure balanced valve to prevent temperature swings.
If the tub spout diverter isn't fully diverting, that's a fairly easy fix by replacing the tub spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks