Low flow rate at times from Krystal Pure Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveFam

Reaction score
The Krystal Pure KS10|KS15HE|KS64HE unit is at least 13 years old here in Phoenix, AZ. There is a manual 740/760 Control 255 and Performa Series Valves (268, 268FA).

We have times when the unit seems to be regenerating and there is no water flow to the house.

I have read the resin issues can lead to low water flow rates but looks like that would be all the time and not at certain times only.

Also, the regen cycle seems to take several hours.

I have seen the following suggestions but I don't think any apply:

1. Pre-filter to remove sediment - ok, I can do this but it doesn't look like that is the issue right this moment.
2. Change the resin beads - OK, I can do that but if that was an issue, then the flow should be low through the day/weeks and not at certain times of the week.
3. Look for salt bridge - ok, that should be it the water is not getting soft after regen cycles.

Any ideas on specific cause of low pressure during certain time of the week/month (one that I believe is associated with regen cycles)?

Thanks...rmd

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, the regen cycle seems to take several hours.
Regeneration should not take several hours.

Try triggering a regeneration, and watch and time how it goes. I would remove the cam and watch the rotor. I don't know if the rotor turns through the whole cycle, as it does with the pure mechanical units. But you might be able to help it along by applying force to the cam. http://www.softenerparts.com/Autotrol_Repair_Parts_s/2.htm may have some information for you.

So should you repair, or should you just get a new system with a metering (demand) valve? How hard is your water? How many people? That is relevant in that if the softener is undersized, it makes replacing the unit an easier decision.

I repaired my old Autotrol once. I tried a second time, and in the end replaced the softener. It was worthwhile to replace the softener.

Note that the Autotrol/Performa softeners have the input and output on opposite sides from most other softeners.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you look at the flappers, the 4th flapper from the front is the bypass. This must be open during regeneration. Check to see if this flapper is being properly pushed open or if for any reason it is not.

The valve is very easy to rebuild but is has some quirks. Do not use power drivers to remove or replace any parts, hand tools only. We see many broken valves due to this mistake.

1. Pre-filter to remove sediment - ok, I can do this but it doesn't look like that is the issue right this moment. If this filter was plugged you would lose pressure all the time.
2. Change the resin beads - OK, I can do that but if that was an issue, then the flow should be low through the day/weeks and not at certain times of the week. Resin beads can be tested by simply opening up 3-4 faucets at the same time, water should flow fully. If flow comes to a near stop then resin is likely the problem.
3. Look for salt bridge - ok, that should be it the water is not getting soft after regen cycles. Salt bridge would only cause hard water.

Agent Black Jack

Reaction score
On your Krystalpure water softener, what is your capacity/salt# settings?
The Krystal Pure KS10|KS15HE|KS64HE unit is at least 13 years old here in Phoenix, AZ. There is a manual 740/760 Control 255 and Performa Series Valves (268, 268FA).

What is your current capacity grain/salt# setting? Default?

I wonder if I should adjust mine (default is 26,200 grains @ 5.2# salt).

Bannerman

Reaction score
ABJ, if you are asking DaveFam, he hasn't visited this site since September 4, 2017.

While there can be minor variances in capacity between various resins, the most common regeneration settings are 24K grains capacity per cuft when using 8 lbs salt per cuft of resin or, 20K grains when using 6 lbs. From the capacity information you provided, I will assume your softener contains 1 cuft of resin.

Agent Black Jack

Reaction score
ABJ, if you are asking DaveFam, he hasn't visited this site since September 4, 2017.

While there can be minor variances in capacity between various resins, the most common regeneration settings are 24K grains capacity per cuft when using 8 lbs salt per cuft of resin or, 20K grains when using 6 lbs. From the capacity information you provided, I will assume your softener contains 1 cuft of resin.

1.56 cu ft. of resin. 10 x 62 tank (with Autrol 960 valve installed).

I was always adamant on changing the default 26.2k @ 5.2# because the manual states it wasn't necessary as it was set at the factory for optimum efficiency. Makes me wonder if the default setting is the reason why my water wasn't silky soft after a few years of having it.

Here's the other specs on it according to the manual:
38.9k @ 9.4#
47.3k @ 14.1#

Bannerman

Reaction score
With a 1.5 cuft system, suggest programming either 30,000 grains capacity with 9 lbs salt setting OR 36,000 capacity using 12 lbs salt.

As the resin capacity has likely been exhausted, after programming the new capacity and salt settings, add 5 - 7 gallons additional water to the brine tank if it will hold it, so as to restore resin capacity beyond that regularly used. The additional water can be added using a bucket to the fluid already in the brine tank. Wait approach 2 hours to allow additional salt to dissolve and then initiate a manual regeneration cycle.

Last edited:

Agent Black Jack

Reaction score
With a 1.5 cuft system, suggest programming either 30,000 grains capacity with 9 lbs salt setting OR 36,000 capacity using 12 lbs salt.

As the resin capacity has likely been exhausted, after programming the new capacity and salt settings, add 5 - 7 gallons additional water to the brine tank if it will hold it, so as to restore resin capacity beyond that regularly used. The additional water can be added using a bucket to the fluid already in the brine tank. Wait approach 2 hours to allow additional salt to dissolve and then initiate a manual regeneration cycle.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should change the manufacturer setting. Is there a preference between the 30k@ 9# and 36k @ 12#. My guess the latter uses more salt, but gives you the best regeneration?

Also, changing the settings wouldn't require me to do any extra programming? For example: my Autotrol 960, "capacity" to 30.0 and "salt amount" to 9.0 and that's it right?

Mina

Reaction score
On a similar/related note I have a couple of questions:

I'm getting the KS10 installed and I was told I can adjust the water pressure if I need to. Is this a simple process? I don't have the system yet so I'm not sure what I will have to do for that.

Also, since the KS10 doesn't have the fancy/advanced predictive metering, I was told that there is a manual input for regeneration (based on gallons used and/or number of days). Is it easy to adjust that as well?

I don't see an interface in the pictures of the system so I'm not sure how I will be able to make any changes.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks