Users who are viewing this thread

James Riel

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a house a couple weeks ago. We noticed a loss of pressure when running a shower and washer at the same time. We heard some pretty loud knocking coming down the copper pipe near the pressure tank. Our pressure dropped down to about 24psi and the gauge needle would flutter in bursts with the knocking sound as the pressure tried to rise. Turned off all the water sources and after about 20 minutes the pressure came back up to proper range. This happens a couple times per day.

Our stock pressure switch is 40/60. The 1/2HP submersible well pump is 200 feet down. It is 230V, 3W with remote start capacitor/control box by the tank. The pressure switch had some carbon build up and was remote mounted on the wall, so I replaced it with a new 40/60 at the T-bar and installed a new gauge while I was at it. When the tank was empty we re-pressurised the tank to 37PSI and rechecked maybe 10 minutes later to see if we had any leak in the bladder - all was well with that.

We opened (2) showers all the way to test the system. The water cut in and off with full cycles about 3-4 times. Everything seemed great. Then, all of a sudden, we saw some sediment in the showers. Went downstairs and heard that awful knocking sound again. The sediment is new as of when this work was completed to replace the gauge, pressure switch, and check the tank pressure/bladder.

I am thinking that the well pump is short stroking, perhaps overheating from clogging up with sediment and needs to be replaced. Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks,
James

Reach4

Reaction score
You have no sediment filter? You should have one after the pressure tank. If there is a lot of sediment, and will continue to be a lot of sediment, a backwashing filter could be called for. Any iron or sulfur-smell problems?

Do you get air in your water?

How far down is your water? Don't go dropping weights into your well, but you could drop ice cubes. Shine a bright flashlight down at night to look, or use a mirror to direct the bright sun down there.

Getting your pump raised might be called for. Getting your well cleaned is a possibility.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks