Looking for tankless WH replacement

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Trevor K, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Trevor K

Trevor K New Member

Hi. I've had the infamous Eternal EU195s since 2013. not really many issues until recently. A few o-rings were leaking under the thermister. I had the thermal fuse blow twice now, which once the wire was melted! Now yesterday it blew the incoming fuse on the control board. I'm assuming water got somewhere and messed it up. I am tired of this and all I've seen is I'm lucky it has lasted this long.
    Looking to get a new one just want opinions on which brands to veer toward and ones to stay away
    from (Eternal)
    What about Nortiz, Rinnai or others?
    I live in Canada so not sure if that's a difference.

thanks

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Noritz & Laars both sell re-labeled Kiturami water heaters, which are fine. Kiturami competes head to head with Navien in their home country, but took different strategies for the North American market.

Rinnai is (or at least was) the world's largest manufacturer of gas burning appliances, and has a good reputation & good support in the US. I'm not sure if they're any better supported than Navien in Canada (or in particular B.C..)

Navien's reputation has been improved considerably over time in the US, probably due to both better quality control but more importantly better training for the installers. Navien also has designs capable of overcoming deficiencies of smaller gas lines. A 3/4" gas line that had previously served a 35K tank type water heater is a real problem for bigger-burner tankless. (Read the installation manuals and measure your gas lines before committing.)

Takagi's reputation has been slipping a bit of late, but I have no first hand knowledge or issues with them.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement