Looking for guidance on new clack softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Dokutax

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new clack softener about a month ago installed.

Initially the water felt silky/slimy but it no longer does.

I had the installer come out and he said the water is most definitely still soft (with his test).

But we're starting to see water spots again which we weren't initially.

Settings:
30K grains, 9.5lb salt
Hardness: 10

This is a 1.5cuft unit (48k).

It's set to regen every 14 days as well.

It's only my wife and I and we're averaging somewhere between 75-100 gallons per day.

Hoping to get some advice and recommendations on what to change to potentially fix this.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Get your own Hach 5-B test.

Softened water will still spot as much as hard, but the spots wipe off easily with a damp cloth.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Softened water after being accustomed to hard water will initially feel odd, but after a short time, it becomes the new normal so most people tend to notice the difference less.

The settings currently programmed, result in more efficient salt use, but slightly greater hardness leakage through the softener.

To reduce the amount of hardness leakage while continuing to acheive high efficiency, program 36K grains Capacity and 12 lbs salt. Suggest programming the softener hardness setting as 2 gpg higher than the actual Hach 5B raw water hardness test result.

Once the settings are modified, use a bucket to add 1 gallon additional water into the brine tank, wait ~1 hr to allow additional salt to dissolve, then perform a 1X manual regeneration to restore additional softening capacity that was not restored while using the prior settings.

TonyH

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new clack softener about a month ago installed.

Initially the water felt silky/slimy but it no longer does.

I had the installer come out and he said the water is most definitely still soft (with his test).

But we're starting to see water spots again which we weren't initially.

Settings:
30K grains, 9.5lb salt
Hardness: 10

This is a 1.5cuft unit (48k).

It's set to regen every 14 days as well.

It's only my wife and I and we're averaging somewhere between 75-100 gallons per day.

Hoping to get some advice and recommendations on what to change to potentially fix this.

Thank you!
Maybe you are using too much salt. WHen there is too much residual salt in the water, it becomes too much slimy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks