Leaky faucet, odd type

Users who are viewing this thread

Bryan2k

Reaction score
I've replaced washers before, but this faucet is different that any I've worked on and I can't figure it out. I think I have it, but the nut I'm trying to loosen will not turn, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Please see the picture.

bryon26-01.jpg

I assume you want to loosen the nut just left of the red, but I've tried left and right thread and it doesn't move. I don't want to call a plumber for something so simple...

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like it should loosen the way you describe. It also looks like it could be very stuck with hard water. You might need to soak it in a quality penetrating oil to get it unstuck.

Bryan2k

Reaction score
It looks like it should loosen the way you describe. It also looks like it could be very stuck with hard water. You might need to soak it in a quality penetrating oil to get it unstuck.
I'm just so afraid I might strip it, but I just bought some good penetrating oil to get my plates off my car, so I'll try that and if it works I'll come back and post it.
Thank you for replying

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The nut below the red spins off counter clockwise.
It looks like there may be some flats at the bottom that you can use to back with a wrench with you unthread the stem.

Bryan2k

Reaction score
I ended up stripping the nut, so I'll have to do what plumber69 suggested, replace the whole thing.
Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Bryan2k

Reaction score
I went to Godwin plumbing. The guy at the parts counter put it in a vice and was able to get the part out. Then, the replacement was $104!! But, the guy found me a part from a different brand that should work for $20.
The part did work, all is set, faucet works with no leaks.
Again, thank you all for responding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks