Leaky Delta Tub/Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevedore

Reaction score
tub2.JPG
Hello-

We bought this house last year, and I've been slowly working my way through things that were neglected by the previous owners.

The current project is one of the bathrooms. The tub/shower valve is a Delta, & I'm guessing it's original to the house, 30 years old. Nothing drips when the water is turned off, but when it's turned on, quite a bit of water comes out around the stem that sticks out from the valve.

From looking around on the web, it looks like it might be a Delta 600 series, of which there seem to be quite a few variations. I attached a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like. I did manage to loosen the dome-shaped chrome part, which I assume will let me disassemble this thing when I'm ready to change some parts.

From what I can see on exploded parts views I found, it looks like the valve consists of a ball connected to the stem that sticks out, and a couple of seals & springs. My question is: Could those seals, if bad, cause it to leak only when the water is turned on, or is it more likely to be the ball part? Or something else? I'm more used to faucets dripping when turned off, due to bad seals, but that's not the case here.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

tub1.JPG
View attachment 46561

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You buy a Delta repair kit which has all the parts you need, along with some you don't, and a new stainless steel ball with a diamond shaped stem. Your problem will be solved when you rebuild it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks